Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Local spring water safe for a turtle>? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/local-spring-water-safe-turtle-93818/)

Nature Knows Best 02-19-2012 07:16 PM

Local spring water safe for a turtle>?

Source Juniper Springs Ocala Florida.
Just enough to perhaps start the cycle and get my 40g going?
any suggestions or facts would be appreciated.

Nature Knows Best 02-19-2012 08:07 PM

I think my turtle would be fine just want some opinions.

Mikaila31 02-19-2012 08:26 PM

should be fine, but water won't start your cycle....

Nature Knows Best 02-19-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 987524)
should be fine, but water won't start your cycle....

well there were fish turtles and plant life in the springs and the water seemed cycled already with the beneficial bacteria.

Nature Knows Best 02-19-2012 09:31 PM

I checked the PH levels nitrates all that and so far the water seems perfect for my turtle and some guppies.

Mikaila31 02-20-2012 09:03 AM

the nitrogen cycle in natural waters is not the same as the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. A natural system rarely relies on a bacterial only nitrogen cycle. The bacteria we relie on is also not found floating in the water. It stays attached to hard surfaces.

Posted via Mobile Device

AbbeysDad 02-20-2012 09:53 AM

Mikaila is correct. Although the spring water is likely very good for your turtle, it's natural state is no different in an aquarium than lake, well or city water. It isn't until natural pollution (decaying organic matter) occurs in our closed system aquariums that beneficial bacteria colonies develop to convert ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. These beneficial bacteria do not live in the water column, but rather on and within solid [platform] surfaces.

Although the amphibian turtle would be less affected any fish would soon have difficulty unless/until the tank was fully cycled.

Nature Knows Best 02-20-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 988032)
Mikaila is correct. Although the spring water is likely very good for your turtle, it's natural state is no different in an aquarium than lake, well or city water. It isn't until natural pollution (decaying organic matter) occurs in our closed system aquariums that beneficial bacteria colonies develop to convert ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. These beneficial bacteria do not live in the water column, but rather on and within solid [platform] surfaces.

Although the amphibian turtle would be less affected any fish would soon have difficulty unless/until the tank was fully cycled.

Thankyou

Nature Knows Best 02-20-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 987968)
the nitrogen cycle in natural waters is not the same as the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. A natural system rarely relies on a bacterial only nitrogen cycle. The bacteria we relie on is also not found floating in the water. It stays attached to hard surfaces.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thankyou