Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Thoughts on Hybrids? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/thoughts-hybrids-93756/)

sterlinggirl 02-19-2012 11:27 AM

Thoughts on Hybrids?

Was just in to a local pet store,, beautiful fish both salt and fresh.. like omg wow!.. While shopping for my new albino bristlenose pleco i saw a group of fish that were young only about 1.5 inches that were labled Hybrid Bumblebee/Labs... cute lil buggers all orange like popsicles with light to no barring, but some had the black dorsal fin on them like the yellow labs i currently have..it kind of took on a bluish hew not stark black.. so i wonder what do you folks think about this type of fish? Sould one be purchsed to put in with my current stock of yellow labs and yellowtail acei?? /or do we leave this fish at the store as to not promote further hybrids?? any thoughts?

ladayen 02-19-2012 12:07 PM

Hybrids are not encouraged generally. Many fish commonly found in aquariums are on the brink of extinction in the wild. If we can keep lines pure there is hope that at some point in the future they can be reintroduced in their original form as intended. Many african cichlids are being threatened by the Nile Perch, a behemoth of a fish that can get to 500lbs and has many sharp teeth to boot. Although very prolific and established in it's new environment the nile perch itself is nearly gone from it's native habitat due to over fishing.

Also hybrids are unpredictable. We do not know which characteristics they will take on. It even happens on occasion that offspring of 2 docile species become super aggresive and kill off both the original species.

sterlinggirl 02-19-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 986993)
Hybrids are not encouraged generally. Many fish commonly found in aquariums are on the brink of extinction in the wild. If we can keep lines pure there is hope that at some point in the future they can be reintroduced in their original form as intended. Many african cichlids are being threatened by the Nile Perch, a behemoth of a fish that can get to 500lbs and has many sharp teeth to boot. Although very prolific and established in it's new environment the nile perch itself is nearly gone from it's native habitat due to over fishing.

Also hybrids are unpredictable. We do not know which characteristics they will take on. It even happens on occasion that offspring of 2 docile species become super aggresive and kill off both the original species.

That kind of was my thinking as well.. i left the fish there but surpized to actually see them. this store i was in take on any unwanted fish that out grow tanks .. they were pretty to say the least, but, i was not looking for something uncertain,, i was shopping for jalo reefs.. and felmale yellow labs of which they had neither.. but i did get a cute lil pleco.. its so dang cute, about 1 inch in size..