Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fresh Water Startup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fresh-water-startup-93673/)

rjordan390 02-18-2012 01:06 PM

Fresh Water Startup

Hello All,
I have my 75 gallon cycled. it contains rocks, plants, driftwood and 11 neon tetras. The gravel is Flourite red by Seachem. 3 inches in background and 2 inches in f ront. Dispite my work in cleaning the gravel, it still contains a lot of dust. Do not know if at this time its a good thing or bad. I have to be careful about disturbing the gravel.
I have two AquaRay gro-beam 1000 over the tank. I am not depending on the gravel as a biofilter because I am using a sand filter in series with a cannister filkter.
Ammonia is 0.00 as is nitrite.Nitrate is only 3 ppm. I have no experience in freshwater but my past experience in saltwater fishkeeping gives me a good start. My tank will be a community. I intend to dose Flourite Excel to provide CO2 for the plants for now with the expectation I may have to do more. My plants are 11 dwarf baby tears in the foreground. 3 Anubias Coffeefolia in the middle and 2 each Ozelot swords & Wisteria in the background.

Now I need some recommendations on fertilizer; liquid and/or wafer
I am a little confused on the elements in the flourite gravel and need to know if I should supplement it. How about nitrate and phosphate, iron, or any other supplements?
Also I will be looking on the forum for educational videos on how to do maintenance on the plants so that they will grow properly.

Christople 02-18-2012 01:28 PM

I have to say the DBT are the hardest plant I have evr come across. With 8 wpg, Co2, and ADA aqua soil I couldn,t get it to grow so let us know hows yours does

rjordan390 02-18-2012 01:56 PM

It may be a while before I can report on the well being of the DBT. I need some headsup on what to do now to insure their health in addition to my other plants. I do not want to throw in things i do not need for them. My lights are rated at 6700K, ideal for plant growth.

Byron 02-19-2012 07:19 PM

I just posted in your related thread about nitrogen, so what I will suggest here is tied to that.

First, on the Flourite substrate. This is an enriched substrate that contains a balance of all essential nutrients for plants. However, it seems to be somewhat intended to work in conjunction with a balanced liquid fertilizer, such as Flourish Comprehensive Supplement. I changed my 70g over to Flourite last March, almost a year ago now, and i found that it provided nothing for the plants if I did not use a liquid fertilizer weekly.

As I noted in my other post on the nitrogen, this is best achieved with a complete balanced fertilizer. The Easy-Life Profito seems to provide that, much the same as Flourish Comprehensive. I would not go beyond this, which in combination with the Flourite substrate should be sufficient.

On your lighting, this also i am not familiar with. Is this the unit you have?
AquaRay GroBeam 1000 ND LED Tile | Green Leaf Aquariums
Perhaps one of our more technical wizards can comment on this. It seems to have all the necessaries, my only concern is brightness--wondering if it is too much rather than too little.

As I mentioned elsewhere, you shouldn't need to add nitrate. Phosphate is readily supplied via fish foods, usually more than sufficient. And iron is a trace mineral, a micro-nutrient, and in my experience there is sufficient in both Flourite and the complete liquid.

Carbon also occurs naturally in a fish tank, and in greater quantity than many realize. I am not a fan of using liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel. This is a chemical, it will kill some plants, and if overdosed it can kill fish.

A successful planted tank is an issue of balance: sufficient light to drive photosynthesis in the plants, balanced with sufficient nutrients. You might find my article at the head of the Aquarium Plants section beneficial, it is entitled "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium."

rjordan390 02-20-2012 12:56 AM

Thanks,
I'll just use the ProFito fertilizer. I have used Seachems products when I had a reef tank. I suspect you may be right about my lights. They are the Aquaray grobeams 1000 tiles. I bought these on the recommendation of a contractor/dealer who cares for many tank setups of his customers. I built a hood for them and have it sitting on the tank. This leaves the lights about 4 inches above the water line.
When I installed them, I still had a lot of cloudiness and could not see that the lights do in fact, make the tank look more cloudy then it really is. Now that most of the cloudyness is gone, I can distinguish a beam of light on both sides of the tank.
On an experiment, I used two 4 by 4's across the tank and place my hood on top to see the effect. The light is more distributed across the tank and the beams are less intense , making it less cloudy looking.
Actually, I believe the lights may be contributing to the cloudy water and raising them up a few inches may help. The cloudyness seems to increase as the day wears on.