Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ever wonder what happened to you fish before you got them?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ever-wonder-what-happened-you-fish-93659/)

Inga 02-18-2012 08:58 AM

Ever wonder what happened to you fish before you got them??

I guess it is because I have so many years in dog and horse rescue that I tend to have the bleeding heart syndrome when it comes to my fish or any other creature. I have had so many abused dogs and I sit looking at them and wondering what they had to endure before I got them. What made them who they are? I do the same for people as well.

I tend to make bad decisions when I buy fish. I buy with my heart rather then my brain, I guess. I once purchased 10 starving, half dead Oto's they were laying on their side in the bag on the way home. I wanted to "save them" Some of them lived and are now fat and happy so... It can work.

I have to fight my way past the nasty Betta cups every time I am in Petco because they call to me "Save me!" but thus far I have resisted. I don't want to start or my house will have hundreds of little 20 gallon Betta set ups.

When I bought my Angels, there were a few with issues. I purposely took those fish. One, my Black Angel has a gimpy fin but he CAN use it sometimes. Mostly it sits against his body. He gets along fine, grew very large and seems happy. (how do we really know?) I would suspect had I not taken him, they would have flushed him or the other fish might have eaten him, who knows. I can't help but wonder what caused the Gimpy fin? It reminded me of Nemo so... It called to me. Is there any way to know by looking at a fin like that what might have happened to him? I would love to get a good picture of it but ideally video would be the way to go. I don't have a video of him sadly.

Anyone else have the "cast outs" of the fish world? Maybe I am nuts but I can enjoy the less favored fish as much as the best specimen, I guess.

EimajElocin 02-18-2012 09:25 AM

I'm the exact same way. I'm sure it drives my parents up a wall though :lol:
It kills me to leave a suffering animal, so matter what kind.
We've rescued a few dogs and found them great homes (Kept some, got too attached. (: )
And while at walmart I saw a pleco with a hurt fin. It looked broken and tattered. So I had to get him. With a bit of love and medicine his fin is perfectly normal now. I also saw a male betta- fin rot. Who could say no?
I got him and have had him for about a year. Sadly now, he's gotten a tumor..
I also saw a little female betta, not even in an inch of water. She was laying sideways in her cup, if she sat normal her mouth would be out of the water. I couldn't resist, yet again. Now, queen of her own 20 gallon tank.

I'm sorry to hear about your fishes fin. I'm no fin expert, so I'm really not sure what caused it.
Good luck with your fish (:

Inga 02-18-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EimajElocin (Post 985779)
I'm the exact same way. I'm sure it drives my parents up a wall though :lol:
It kills me to leave a suffering animal, so matter what kind.
We've rescued a few dogs and found them great homes (Kept some, got too attached. (: )
And while at walmart I saw a pleco with a hurt fin. It looked broken and tattered. So I had to get him. With a bit of love and medicine his fin is perfectly normal now. I also saw a male betta- fin rot. Who could say no?
I got him and have had him for about a year. Sadly now, he's gotten a tumor..
I also saw a little female betta, not even in an inch of water. She was laying sideways in her cup, if she sat normal her mouth would be out of the water. I couldn't resist, yet again. Now, queen of her own 20 gallon tank.

I'm sorry to hear about your fishes fin. I'm no fin expert, so I'm really not sure what caused it.
Good luck with your fish (:

Thanks he has been in there a year + now and is fine. He even has a girlfriend so it is all good. She apparently is willing to over look his gimpy fin too as he is so handsome. :-)