Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Yellowing plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/yellowing-plants-93657/)

EimajElocin 02-18-2012 08:33 AM

Yellowing plants?

I bought beginner low light plants to add to my 20 gallon long.
I got my water tested before I bought them and my parameters were fine.
I do not have a light specifically for my aquarium. But beside it I have a regular lamp, and along the wall where my aquarium sits is a window. I used to keep my lamp on for the plants, but after a week I noticed that the leaves were turning yellow. I researched and found out it's because I gave it too much light. So now the lamp is off and I just use the window for light (Which still lights up the room well)
Would this be okay?
Also, I havent used fertilizer. I was thinking about buying Flourish Complete Fertilizer. Would this be okay?
Thank you for your help.

Inga 02-18-2012 08:39 AM

There are many people here with much more experience then I have but in my limited experience when the leaves yellowed, it was lack of nutrients. What type of light you have is also important. You need a 6500K (Kelvin) rating on the bulb. A daylight or full spectrum bulb would achieve this. Also the duration of time you keep a light on is important. The plants need time for growth and time for rest.

I do recommend the Flourish Comprehensive fertilizer. Also, if you have any heavy root feeders you will need some root tabs. Amazon sword is an example of a heavy root feeder. Hope this helps a little until the plant guru's show up. :)

redchigh 02-18-2012 08:47 AM

Agreed, yellow leaves are nutrients.

Try flourish comprehensive and root tabs.

fish monger 02-18-2012 08:51 AM

I agree with Inga. Low light in the aquarium plant world isn't all that low. With an actual aquarium light, you can control the time and quality of light your plants get.

EimajElocin 02-18-2012 09:08 AM

Okay, is it safe to use the liquid and the tabs?
And, how come the Amazon Sword would need the tabs? Would it be unaffected by the liquid?

I have some wisteria, penny wort, amazon swords, and a free plant the website I bought them from sent me. It's skinny, tall, and has little leaves all along it's stem.

redchigh 02-18-2012 09:12 AM

The liquid alone will work.

Swordplants like the tabs, but they're not required.

Inga 02-18-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 985766)
The liquid alone will work.

Swordplants like the tabs, but they're not required.

In my tank the Root tabs were required for the Amazon swords but I have a lot of them so... maybe that is it. No, it won't hurt at all to use both. Just remember you will need to balance light with nutrients. Sounds like you have some nice starter plants. LOVE Pennywort. Do you have a picture of the mystery plant? Sounds like maybe ludwigia or Rotala?

redchigh 02-18-2012 09:32 AM

Byron used to just use flourish by itself... Root tabs definately help though.

If it's a 'sterile' tank and there's not a lot of detritus in the gravel you might need them...

Quote:

Originally Posted by EimajElocin (Post 985763)
....... a free plant the website I bought them from sent me. It's skinny, tall, and has little leaves all along it's stem.

I was thinking about the plant you described too, but once the list of possibilities hit a dozen I stopped trying without a picture.

anarchis
hornwort
rotala
bacopa
baby tears
cabomba
didiplis diandra
Myriophyllum
myaca
Nesea
pennywort
stargrass

this is fun, but really hard without a picture.

EimajElocin 02-18-2012 09:36 AM

Okay. I'll pick up the fertilizer this weekend.
I was looking on the website I bought it from, and it looks just like a Bacopa Carolina.
So far I'm liking my penny wort the best. Boy does it grow fast!!
Sadly, it's the most affected with the yellow spots. My Amazon sword looks the healthiest out of them all.

So, lighting.. Me and my dad built a top for a aquarium so my fish wouldn't jump out. We made it exactly like those "Glass Canopies"
So, is there anyway I could just switch the light bulb in my regular lamp? Right now I have a 15 watt 'smart bulb' in it. Could I get by with switching the bulb? If so, which would I use? If not, what lighting do I need to buy?

Thank you so much for your help.

Inga 02-18-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EimajElocin (Post 985787)
Okay. I'll pick up the fertilizer this weekend.
I was looking on the website I bought it from, and it looks just like a Bacopa Carolina.
So far I'm liking my penny wort the best. Boy does it grow fast!!
Sadly, it's the most affected with the yellow spots. My Amazon sword looks the healthiest out of them all.

So, lighting.. Me and my dad built a top for a aquarium so my fish wouldn't jump out. We made it exactly like those "Glass Canopies"
So, is there anyway I could just switch the light bulb in my regular lamp? Right now I have a 15 watt 'smart bulb' in it. Could I get by with switching the bulb? If so, which would I use? If not, what lighting do I need to buy?

Thank you so much for your help.

I am sorry that I am not good at picturing what exactly you have. If you have a normal 1 florescent bulb light, yeah, just get a bulb that is 6500K and you are good to go. If you have a home depot you can find the T8 Daylight bulb or full spectrum and you are all set. Cheap and easy fix.