Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   New babies!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/new-babies-93655/)

jdiaz 02-18-2012 08:02 AM

New babies!!

Just this Tuesday I got 2 mollies male and female(who had the new babies). I put them in my 29 with 2 mollies that are females and one pregnant. There is 5 cherry barbs that are super active. The tank is completely cycled. When I added the fish and the liked the tank, they accepted the tank right away. I feed them a verity of fish flake and brine shrimp food. Tank is planted but not heavy planted. There is a lot of java moss for them to hide in. But anyways, I have counted and there is about 7-15 babies that I have seen. I will upload pictures but the type of molly they are is a Gold Dust Molly Lyretail. Awesome...

Romad 02-18-2012 08:05 AM

Congrats and good luck with them.

jdiaz 02-18-2012 08:22 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Thanks I got some pictures. Not the best quality. Some are at the top of the tank by the plant. Haha, they are hiding from the mom and dad. I already have one baby from the silver molly.

jdiaz 02-18-2012 08:23 AM

As you can see the current from the filter is being blocked so that the fry and the plants don't get pushed away.

EimajElocin 02-18-2012 08:41 AM

Good luck with them! Your tank is cute

jdiaz 02-18-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks. I had the tank with just the silver molly and only one of the fry made it. There is a bunch of java moss where the fry can hide now but just in case I might just buy a 10 gallon to put the fry in. I counted about 14 so far. the tank still need a bit of work, it is a little messy from a week ago when I added the mollies. I am going to do a 10 percent water change today. I am way overstocked with all the fry. Haha, and its going to get way overstocked when the silver molly gives birth. I am surprised that they already have the gold and black color.

jdiaz 02-19-2012 07:18 AM

I did a check on how many fry today and there is about 22. I caught most of them and put them in a separate tank. I might of missed 2 or 4 fry.

j dizzel 02-19-2012 10:09 AM

With my fry I use a hydro sponge filter. They are relatively cheap and do a really good job. In fact I have come to prefer them over the hang on back models. Just thought you might want to try something that won't cull your fry accidently.

jdiaz 02-19-2012 10:48 AM

The tank I have is a 29 and the fry hardly ever go near the filter. I actually made this breading trap out of an old container that is see through and they are all in it with a filter to filter the water inside the container, witch is inside the tank. And to take care of the ammonia in the little container I put a bunch of java moss in there. And the filter also has some sponge in it so that the fry dong get sucked in.

j dizzel 02-19-2012 07:28 PM

Sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck and keep us updated on their progress.