Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Cichlids for a 30 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cichlids-30-gallon-tank-93632/)

Neutron 02-17-2012 09:36 PM

Cichlids for a 30 gallon tank

So I have recently acquired a 30 gallon tall aquarium. I am considering what to do with it and I think I want to start up a cichlid tank.

I've been researching cichlids but am finding a lot of conflicting information and I don't know much about the different species and what not. I love all the different colours and they are so interesting to look at. I figured my best bet would be to ask here for some input.

So:

What kinds of cichlids are suitable for a 30 gallon tank? And how many could I have in a 30 gallon?
I would prefer less aggressive fish.
What kind of water parameters do they require? And substrate? What about live plants?

subparracer 02-17-2012 09:55 PM

fish in tank

well 30 gallons is a little small but it can be done. cichlids are less agressive when there are more fish in the tank and when well fed. make sure that you don't mix african cichlids with new world ones because they will fight. and try not to mix the different types of lakes some people say that some are more aggressive to different other fish from different lakes because they think other fish are there to take over there lake also make sure that you have enough places for them to hide. If you are trying to breed them I would suggest to stay with only one kind of cichlid so there is no chance of cross breeding. Most people don't like a single breed tank but i have 2 male and 5 female red zebra cichlids. the tank look very cool with only one type of fish in the tank it looks more like there real habitat.
hope this helps

Tazman 02-17-2012 10:42 PM

You would be looking at Lamprologus' brevis, Neolamprologus leleupi , Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps , brichardi, Pelvichromis pulcher, Gymnogeophagus australis , Gymnogeophagus meridionalis.

These are about the only fish suitable for a 30g tank, anything else is not suitable for a small tank like that.

Neutron 02-17-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 985535)
You would be looking at Lamprologus' brevis, Neolamprologus leleupi , Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps , brichardi, Pelvichromis pulcher, Gymnogeophagus australis , Gymnogeophagus meridionalis.

These are about the only fish suitable for a 30g tank, anything else is not suitable for a small tank like that.

Thanks so much! That gives me somewhere to start. I know its not a a big enough sized tank for most cichlids but I'm still in the process of researching it all.

rrcoolj 02-18-2012 07:30 AM

If you are looking for centrals a pair of pretty much any of the cryptoheros, archeocentrus, or thorichthys will do fine in that setup considering it is a 3ft tank. I currently have a pair of centrarchus in a 29 and they are great fish to watch. There is nothing cooler than seeing a pair of cichlids gaurding a cloud of fry. You could add small target.dither fish s well like mollies, platies, sowrdtails, tetras, etc. Also adding to the list above lamprologus occelatus gold will do just fine in that size tank you may even be able to keep more than one pair. I hear those little guys are full of personality.

Philnominal 02-19-2012 08:28 PM

My firemouth gets along fine with his tank mates (can't put anything else territorial in with him though) Bolvian rams, Apisto's, Cupid Cichlids, Checkerboard cichlids, GBR's (need higher temp and softer water then most fish) Convict (they do get aggressive normally), Jewel Cichlids (80%-90% will be monsters and kill anything else with them accept for maybe a breeding buddy and even then you would need lots of cover.

Neutron 02-21-2012 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the input! I have a bit of a dilemma though. I already have a ten gallon community with 3 emerald corydoras, 3 otocinclus and 1 female betta. I'm thinking I will just move these fish to the 29 gallon (I realized this after researching my tank online that it is a 29 gallon tall not 30, with marineland eclipse bio-wheel).

Anyway, I went to my LFS and found they have German Blue Rams which they explained are rather sensitive... and much too pricey for my budget. They also have Bolivian Red Rams and I found out they are more hardy and will get along fine in a community aquarium.

Just going to wait for my cycle to finish and hopefully the Bolivian Rams will still be on sale :P. How many should I get? The employee there said to get 4 and hopefully 2 pair up. The tank has a ton of live plants and rock caves too.