Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Moving established 29g to another room (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moving-established-29g-another-room-93595/)

kangy 02-17-2012 12:34 PM

Moving established 29g to another room

In my living room I have two tanks my 29g Planted and a new to me 40g reef tank. When I setup the reef tank last week I placed it where I originally though I wanted it. Well the breeder tank being in the hallway sticks out more than my wife likes and she wants the 29g planted in the hallway as it's more "flush" to the wall and the 40g next to the couch. I told her we would move it "down the road" as I really didn't want to screw with trying to do a two tank switcheroo. Well, I am changing the sand in the reef tank this weekend so it's getting tore down anyways so figured this would be a good opportunity to make the swap.

I already have the plan for the 40g.
1) Remove about 5 gallons of water into an icechest with a powerhead and catch the 4 fish (I'm allotting the most time to that process, fast little buggers)
2) Remove the rest of the water into icechests and place the liverock/coral into them with powerheads to keep the water going
3) Move tank outside to remove old sand and clean
4) replace tank, put in sand, redo hardscape, fill, add fish, top off water, viola

Now my question is what are your recommendations to quickly moving the planted 29g. I plan on moving the 29g over as soon as I get the 40g off the stand and completing that task before setting up the 40g. Here is what I'm thinking.
1) Remove a few gallons of water into my water change bucket and attempt to catch the fish
2) leave all the plants, substrate, wood, etc in the 29g but remove all the water down to about an inch above the substrate
3) with a helper lift tank off stand and set it down, move stand to new home, and place tank on stand.
4) carefully so as not to disrupt the sandbed/rooted plants fill the water back up then put the fish back in

Pro's of that plan are it "should" be pretty quick and painless. Con's are I risk the plants being out of the water for maybe 5 minutes during the move (longer for the taller ones) and risk disrupting the sand during the move (I'm literally only moving it 10ft)

The goal is to get the new Arogonite sand cleaned for the 40g reef tonight and tackle this project Saturday with a helper to move the 29g. I'm just worried about stressing the glass/seams on the 29g moving it with the sand, wood, and a couple inches of water. Also it has been stationary for 5 years now and I have spilled some water on the floor during water changes (who hasn't) so I'm kind of nervous the stand its self won't make the move intact.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Geomancer 02-17-2012 01:50 PM

This is one of those "I'm not going to answer because if it goes wrong and they followed my advice I don't want to be responsible" type questions ;)

So I'll just say that I myself moved a 29 gallon aquarium across town leaving the gravel and decorations in place. Most made the journey... but I'm sad to say not everything. I didn't have live plants though either nor wood/rocks. The tank itself made it just fine.

I'd drain the water as much as possible while keeping the substrate wet. The plants will be perfectly fine in open air, a lot (maybe even nearly all) aquatic plants can be grown emersed. They might go into 'shock' for a little while due to the change in conditions, but maybe not since it isn't that long.

kangy 02-17-2012 02:24 PM

Thanks, I think :-) I'm more worried about the tank itself than the plants really, it's pretty old, I figure worst case it shatters or a seam busts. If it does at least it'll give me an excuse to upgrade. Just hope if it happens it goes before all the water gets back in lol.

Eddie1KRR 02-17-2012 02:33 PM

Is the 10 feet you are moving it across carpet? If it is, these things are great. I moved my amour around by myself with ease with these things and it's close to 300 lbs. You may be able to just drain it down a bit and move it stand and all & not have to worry about stressing the glass by lifting it.

Mighty Movers Self-Stick Furniture Sliders, Pack of 4 - Walmart.com

MinaMinaMina 02-17-2012 02:51 PM

I'm in the thinking of "better safe than sorry" and I always recommend emptying the tank fully before it is moved at all. Especially because you said its an older tank!

Tazman 02-17-2012 02:59 PM

My friend moved a 55g tank once with a small amount of water in it...it exploded...he now has a massive 240g tank.

I still think he weakened it to get the tank but he never said... :-)

kangy 02-17-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie1KRR (Post 985138)
Is the 10 feet you are moving it across carpet? If it is, these things are great. I moved my amour around by myself with ease with these things and it's close to 300 lbs. You may be able to just drain it down a bit and move it stand and all & not have to worry about stressing the glass by lifting it.

It's across a tile floor. I might try to just move it stand and all, I wonder how those would work on tile? hmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 985157)
My friend moved a 55g tank once with a small amount of water in it...it exploded...he now has a massive 240g tank.

I still think he weakened it to get the tank but he never said... :-)

You're not helping LMAO, how much water is a "small amount". I moved the 40g Breeder here with a couple inches of water/sand still in it and it made the trip just fine in the back of my TrailBlazer.

Tazman 02-17-2012 03:29 PM

I dont know the exact amount but it was quite a few inches, way more than it should have been!

Eddie1KRR 02-17-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangy (Post 985189)
It's across a tile floor. I might try to just move it stand and all, I wonder how those would work on tile? hmmm

I don't think they would help much there, whenever I have to slide anything across wood or tile that is heavy, I lay carpet squares or whatever carpet you have laying around, carpet side facing the tile. it works great.
I would just be sure the stand can handle the load of you pushing on it with some weight on it so it doesn't collapse.
I don't see how the tank could crack if you only touch the stand and it's over half empty. I could be wrong though lol. <~~~~~ My disclaimer there :-D

beetlebz 02-17-2012 03:40 PM

So i see it as you can drain as much water out as you can, leaving the substrate wet and you should be fine, or leave it half full and get a 240g tank.

YOU tell your wife you need a new 29 gallon tank, and that you called some pet store for a quote. ILL call your house, say im from some pet store (vandelay aquariums? lol) and that the 29g size is discontinued, but I can order one special for you for the same price as the 240g tank (with stand and FX5, of course). how can this plan fail?