Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   yellow tail acei with black circle on top head. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/yellow-tail-acei-black-circle-top-93580/)

sterlinggirl 02-17-2012 06:54 AM

yellow tail acei with black circle on top head.

This morning i wake to find on my Yellow tail acei a large black spot on the top of his head. All water levels are normal.. no spikes in amonia or the nitrates or nitrites.. He acts the same, no change in any thing except for this over night development of this black spot on the top of his head. The only change in this tank is i started to feed them freeze dryed spirulina with brine shrimp...The spot is not a speckle or a dot.. but a large black circle.. should i be concernd? is this just normal color devolpment?

GwenInNM 02-17-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 984823)
This morning i wake to find on my Yellow tail acei a large black spot on the top of his head. All water levels are normal.. no spikes in amonia or the nitrates or nitrites.. He acts the same, no change in any thing except for this over night development of this black spot on the top of his head. The only change in this tank is i started to feed them freeze dryed spirulina with brine shrimp...The spot is not a speckle or a dot.. but a large black circle.. should i be concernd? is this just normal color devolpment?

I saw a GBR at my LFS, that had that on her head. I was looking for a female. Interesting. In this case it was clearly just a coloration that I'd never seen before, but if made it easy to id her. I'm wondering if that is what you fish has too? Just a coloration, nothing wrong with it, but different :)

Gwen

sterlinggirl 02-17-2012 08:05 AM

thanks... now i went to look in on that same fish.. and the spot that was black is now looking like a scar... it looks as if i scrapped it off...im confussed... it apperars to look now like a bald spot! these fish are goin to get me committed!!lol

GwenInNM 02-17-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 984885)
thanks... now i went to look in on that same fish.. and the spot that was black is now looking like a scar... it looks as if i scrapped it off...im confussed... it apperars to look now like a bald spot! these fish are goin to get me committed!!lol

Keeping your water clean, will avoid some of these problems, and keep you from "committing yourself" :) Could be "hole in head", which you can treat with something like "General Cure" by API.

That would be my best guess.

Gwen

Tazman 02-17-2012 08:54 AM

Can you post a picture of the fish?
There are a couple of things it could be but would need a picture to confirm or deny them.

sterlinggirl 02-17-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 984896)
Can you post a picture of the fish?
There are a couple of things it could be but would need a picture to confirm or deny them.

When i return home from work today i will, perhaps he has something.. it was werid,, water waschanged sunday like normal he still acts normal, and when i see this black on his head this morning i got concerned,, then with in two hours it was gone and now is looking like a small scar or bald spot. :cry:

Tazman 02-17-2012 11:20 AM

ok, I suspect that it could be Spirulina spots, which are caused by feeding too much spirulina in their diets combined with stress.

What are the stock in with the acei.

sterlinggirl 02-17-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 984960)
ok, I suspect that it could be Spirulina spots, which are caused by feeding too much spirulina in their diets combined with stress.

What are the stock in with the acei.

Wow.. it could be the new food they are crazy about?? go figure lol.. in a 55 gal tank i have 4 yellow labs and this one male yellow tail acei.. he was to cute to take back ..

Tazman 02-17-2012 11:32 AM

Good mix of fish, acei like swimming all over the tank BUT if they have not had a lot of Spirulina in their diet from the flakes or pellets, then it can cause spots..also and this might be a factor as well.

They are actually one of only a few Lake Malawi species that school together...males and females are peaceful towards each other..it might be that he/she is stressed a little as he is alone..if you get a couple more then it would be beneficial.

They get to about 5-6" and are really nice when fully grown, I have 5 in my 75g tank and several fry in my fry tanks.

sterlinggirl 02-17-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 984973)
Good mix of fish, acei like swimming all over the tank BUT if they have not had a lot of Spirulina in their diet from the flakes or pellets, then it can cause spots..also and this might be a factor as well.

They are actually one of only a few Lake Malawi species that school together...males and females are peaceful towards each other..it might be that he/she is stressed a little as he is alone..if you get a couple more then it would be beneficial.

They get to about 5-6" and are really nice when fully grown, I have 5 in my 75g tank and several fry in my fry tanks.

This new treat was just purchased in the last week.. it had the spirulina listed as main ingredient with the freeze dryed brine shrimp.. and i must admit that i have been over indulging them with a couple of blocks of it per day along with the pinch of flake food i give in the morning.. they seamed to love it so much,, and with those puppy dog eyes asking for more.. well i gave in.. many times.. thanks for help , and i still will post a photo on him when i get home,, right after i stop to the store to buy two more yellow tails to go with him:)