Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What type of plant??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-type-plant-93541/)

jdiaz 02-16-2012 05:54 PM

What type of plant???

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, so last time I posted I had shown pictures of a plant I had bought at Petco. I got an answer and stuck to it until I learned more of the plant, mine is totally different. Do any of you guys know what type it might be?

It is quite strange, the plant seems to have roots growing from where the leaves are. Take a look at the pictures and you will see a string like root that comes from where the leaves are. It has no root(s) at the bottom and so I have to dig the bottom into the dirt. I have tried searching google but nothing!:|

Inga 02-16-2012 05:57 PM

Looks like Pennywort. It can be floated or planted. LOVE the stuff.

jdiaz 02-16-2012 06:10 PM

I dont thing it is pennywort. The leaves on mine does not seen to have the same leaves, and the pennywort does not seem to have roots where mine are. From the pictures I have seen mine plants are diff. Mine are just one long stem.

Byron 02-16-2012 07:04 PM

I agree with Inga, I'm fairly certain this plant in the photos is Hydrocotyl leucocephala, Brazilian Pennywort. Each stem will just grow longer and longer. Sometimes it sends out side stems from a node, maybe one, maybe 2, but not always. If you cut it, the node below will usually sprout 1 or 2 new stems. I have had single stems left floating reach 3 feet, and if I hadn't removed them or cut them, it would likely have just kept growing.:-)

jdiaz 02-16-2012 07:16 PM

Ok. I dont think it is one but I will take your word. I read the discription and mine has the white roots. Well I have like 4-7 stems and they seem to be growing, fast. Some have already have grown 4 new leaves. What is your guys opinion of this plant? Do you guys like it?

Byron 02-16-2012 07:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 984432)
Ok. I dont think it is one but I will take your word. I read the discription and mine has the white roots. Well I have like 4-7 stems and they seem to be growing, fast. Some have already have grown 4 new leaves. What is your guys opinion of this plant? Do you guys like it?

All stem plants have white roots; on Pennywort they grow from pretty much each node. The node is the point from which leaves and roots grow along the stem.

I like this plant very much. It is one of the few stem plants that requires moderate light, most are higher light requiring. It can be planted in the substrate like a normal stem plant, and pruned to develop a bushier appearance. Or it can be grown completely floating.

Here are a couple more photos in addition to the one in our profile.

jdiaz 02-16-2012 08:04 PM

Mine is sort of like the one in the picture but the thing is the leaves don't look similar and the white roots are longer but there is less, unlike the one in the picture.

Byron 02-16-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 984477)
Mine is sort of like the one in the picture but the thing is the leaves don't look similar and the white roots are longer but there is less, unlike the one in the picture.

You have to remember that plants grown under different light, with different nutrients, and sometimes with different water parameters, can appear differently. The main thing to look for when trying to identify a plant is the basic structure. Stems, nodes, leaf whorls, alternating or opposite leaves, leaf shape, etc. Of course, the flowers are frequently the only absolute identifying criteria, especially with some close species, but we don't need to go that far here.

jdiaz 02-16-2012 09:36 PM

Yeah true. Mine had these little white flowers, small like half of the size of Abe Lincolns face on the penny.

Byron 02-17-2012 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 984611)
Yeah true. Mine had these little white flowers, small like half of the size of Abe Lincolns face on the penny.

This is the flower of this species, Hydrocotyle leucocephala. [Also, note there are several species in this genus, each a bit different.]