Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   HELP! Rescue Mission? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-rescue-mission-9345/)

grey 11-14-2007 10:05 AM

HELP! Rescue Mission?

Hi All:

I have a quick question...We have a betta here at work ..approximately 3 years old in a glass bowl with beads and a fake plant. The problem here is that the girl who interited it just dont give a hoot whether it lives or dies. The bowl has algae growing on the sides, the plant and ornament is also covered with it. The top of the water looks real slimy. Now in my other post I mentioned I have never seen the poor thing move to the surface or move much at all. As well the glass bowl is sitting on the counter by the front entrance and feels ice cold to the touch. Last water change was done about 2 months ago (fish dumped in small container..water changed no warm up or sitting overnight).

Ok my big question...is this fish worth saving and if so , and i can convince her to part with it..how can i get it safely to my house ..i have an 90 min bus ride with 1 transfer and the temps outside are at best freezing.

grey

willow 11-14-2007 10:13 AM

hi
well if she is willing to part with the poor thing,then
i would take it home.
if you could possibly get hold of a foam box then place the jar in there,
(it will help with insulation)or bring in a suitable container with a lid on.
if no box is available,then i would wrap the glass/or pot
in plenty of news paper,and if you can,put it in your
jacket for the ride home,and then give the poor thing
somewhere proper to live out it's life.

Falina 11-14-2007 11:28 AM

I agree with Willow.

You could even go into a lfs and ask for one of the bags they use for the fish. I'm sure they would be able to give you one. Use that or any other strong plastic bag with no holes if you can't get a container. The larger the amount of water in the bag the longer it will take to cool down. Plenty of newspaper and perhaps keeping it inside your jacket should help. In any case, even if it's a 90 minute journey and it's a bit chilly, it certainly seems worth it to give it a proper home in the end. Good on you for deciding to do something about it. :)

grey 11-18-2007 03:54 PM

Well, just wanted to update you on my rescue attempt :(

The girl said no way would she let it go home with me...its the office pet and no one is allowed to remove it.

So I will do the next best thing..I'll get my own in a nice 5 or 10 gal. Once I have some experience under my belt I may get a real expensive one from a breeder just 3 hours south of where i live. She is willing to ship it overnight. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the 'International Betta society', but she is a member there.

willow 11-18-2007 04:15 PM

hi
well done you for trying,and continuing to help.
i hope he will love his new larger office home.
keep us updated please if you can.
:)

grey 11-22-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
hi
well done you for trying,and continuing to help.
i hope he will love his new larger office home.
keep us updated please if you can.
:)

Unfortunately the poor little one expired overnight :( I didnt get a chance to move him to a bigger home.

willow 11-23-2007 02:20 AM

oh Grey :( i'm so sorry.
at least you had the kindness in your heart to
have tried to save him in the first place.

beetlebz 11-23-2007 05:33 PM

if you tell us where your coworker lives we can go stuff her into a 1 gallon freezing cold bowl and see how she likes it. that just burns me up :evil:

im so sorry to hear about the little guy though :(

willow 11-23-2007 05:47 PM

i've got a better and more fun thing to do to her
but i don't thnk i can post it on here. lol :twisted:

grey 12-08-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
i've got a better and more fun thing to do to her
but i don't thnk i can post it on here. lol :twisted:

I wish I could that myself but unfortunately the law is kinda sticky on doing violent acts :)