Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Sea Horse info? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/sea-horse-info-93437/)

Toallhisdoom 02-15-2012 03:52 PM

Sea Horse info?

Hey so got all my corals in a fluval edge 6 gallon. Bare bottom. With a 250 koralia and a heater. 2 Orphek pr-3 mr16 led lights. Yea i know not on the market yet. You jelly? lol

Anyways! I want to put a sea horse in it. I know they need things to perch on and what not. What else do i need to know about them? Are they tricky to keep?

sterlinggirl 02-15-2012 04:13 PM

Seahorse i have read are VERY fragile and hard to keep alive. Unless you are an expert at keeping salt water fish, this can be quite a challange. good luck with what you choose to do ADDITIONAL INFO I READ. .Corals generally need high flow rates, which are incompatible with seahorses. In addition, some have stinging cells that can affect your seahorse

Reefing Madness 02-15-2012 06:23 PM

Even a Dwarf Seahorse requires a 10g tank.
Dwarf Seahorse

Toallhisdoom 02-15-2012 08:15 PM

Well I am no expert. But I can research. And I read about a lot of people having them in smaller tanks then recommended. I wonder why? Ill have to research more. I have 2money dragnets in a 2020 gallon and they are both doing awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 02-15-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toallhisdoom (Post 983450)
Well I am no expert. But I can research. And I read about a lot of people having them in smaller tanks then recommended. I wonder why? Ill have to research more. I have 2money dragnets in a 2020 gallon and they are both doing awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whats a Money Dragonette? Got a pic?. And 2,020g tank? They must get pretty big. ?

Toallhisdoom 02-16-2012 06:26 AM

Well I am no expert. But I can research. And I read about a lot of people having them in smaller tanks then recommended. I wonder why? Ill have to research more. I have 2 dragonets in a 20 gallon and they are both doing awesome.

stupid autocorrect

onefish2fish 02-16-2012 08:44 AM

not saying it cant be done but seahorses require alot of work and research. multiple daily feedings, but at the same time a clean tank, i think ive even heard about them needing to be burped, dont know if thats true or what that involves lol.

as for the 2 dragonettes, give it ATLEAST a year before measuring that success, and even with them surviving just a year thats only a fraction of thier life. i hope they both eat frozen and other sources of food as im sure they have your pods already wiped out.

Toallhisdoom 02-16-2012 09:30 AM

I thought the same thing about the dragonets eating all the pods. But when i moved all the corals from the 20gal to the 6gal i noticed a tiggerpod swimming around in the 6gal! So this must mean it traveled over on either the corals, or the clam. BUT somehow there is a LIVE tigger pod in the edge that came from the 20. So they have not eradicated them yet. I did dose the tank with 2 bottles of tigger pods since i have had them. So they must be breeding if they are still alive and abundant enough to get moved from one tank to the other.

Toallhisdoom 02-16-2012 09:35 AM

They are going into the 75 soon after i get it setup. Going to transfer everything from the 20 to the 75. And it will have a adhi 45 sump. With refugium that i will hopefully grow copepods in. So they should do just fine.

Reefing Madness 02-16-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toallhisdoom (Post 983866)
They are going into the 75 soon after i get it setup. Going to transfer everything from the 20 to the 75. And it will have a adhi 45 sump. With refugium that i will hopefully grow copepods in. So they should do just fine.

:thumbsup::notworthy: