Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   29 Gallon Stocking Ideas, built around "Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish" (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/29-gallon-stocking-ideas-built-around-93351/)

Oyster Man 02-14-2012 03:37 PM

29 Gallon Stocking Ideas, built around "Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish"

Dear Tropical Fish Keeping.com,

The title explains most of what I'm wanting. I have a fully cycled and balanced "29 gallon eclipse" fish tank, that is moderately planted; and has some current due to the filter. I also own a small piece of driftwood, that is the center piece of my aquarium.

Based on the tropical fish profiles, I've decided a good fish to build my aquarium around would be a dwarf neon rainbow fish. Right now I''m thinking of a school of six; with two males and four females.
However I'm still a little unsure as far as stocking is concerned. I would like to have a fairly active, colorful, aquarium, that is easy to care for; and so I'm looking for other possible ideas for tank-mates, unless of course the tank is all ready at its maximum load. If possible I would also like something like a shrimp or a crab.

All suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Oyster Man.

cwolfman13 02-14-2012 04:02 PM

I will be keeping an eye on this thread.....I'm considering doing this as well with a 29 gallon tank. I'm thinking a schoal of 8-10 neon rainbows and some bottom feeders....maybe 6 Octocinculus.

I have a couple other ideas as well, but I'm liking the neon rainbowfish idea a lot.

Byron 02-14-2012 05:39 PM

There is not a lot of room in a 36g once you have 6-7 of these rainbows that reach 2-3 inches, but this would be a good opportunity for a group of one of the smaller danio species since they too are active swimmers. Or a group of 8-9 of one of the rasbora in Trigonostigma for a bit more colour.

For the substrate, perhaps a group (5-6) of one of the dwarf loach species (we have two in our profiles, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki and Yunnanilus cruciatus). With lots of wood chunks an y of these would be interesting, and they too are relatively active.

Shrimp might well get eaten, and I'm not sure of a crab in with these fish, but on that I'll bow to the invertebrate experts.

Byron.

GwenInNM 02-14-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 982452)
There is not a lot of room in a 36g once you have 6-7 of these rainbows that reach 2-3 inches, but this would be a good opportunity for a group of one of the smaller danio species since they too are active swimmers. Or a group of 8-9 of one of the rasbora in Trigonostigma for a bit more colour.

For the substrate, perhaps a group (5-6) of one of the dwarf loach species (we have two in our profiles, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki and Yunnanilus cruciatus). With lots of wood chunks an y of these would be interesting, and they too are relatively active.

Shrimp might well get eaten, and I'm not sure of a crab in with these fish, but on that I'll bow to the invertebrate experts.

Byron.

And it's not even a 36 gal, by looking at the post, he's talking a 29 gal. I only have 2 dwarf rainbows left of my 5 I started with. Not the strongest species, even with good water. They are active swimmers, I think if you did a small school of them, it may be all you should put in the tank, as Byron suggested some bottom dwellers as dwarf neons are in the mid range of the tank. If your looking for colorful fish, I would not go with these. My LFS told me they get really colorful, but they only have an shimmer as light hits them a certain way. I do not consider them colorful. I'm not getting anymore, even though I feel bad for my 2 remaining females.

Gwen

Byron 02-14-2012 07:51 PM

Thanks Gwen for spotting my confused state and correcting things. With a 29g I would stay with the rainbows and one or both (5 each) of the loach dwarf species.

That's twice I've thought 36...I think there is a thread by someone with a 36g bowfront perhaps. Getting confused in my senile decay.:dunno:

Byron.

Oyster Man 02-15-2012 07:28 PM

Thanks for the thorough reply.

Quote:

Not the strongest species, even with good water...

...If your looking for colorful fish, I would not go with these.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion.
That being said, does anyone have any stocking suggestions. I'm wanting colorful, active, schooling fish that are mostly peaceful.

I looked at the profiles for the "Banded Dwarf Loaches" Byron mentioned. Where as I'm interested in them, I do not know if the fish would be happy. My gravel is somewhat large, and I have only one piece of driftwood. According to their profiles however, the "Banded Dwarf Loach" need finer gravel, and lots of wood. Should I still consider getting them?
(I didn't look much into Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki due to the fact that it is listed under moderate care level.)

I'll include these photos of my tank; if it helps with fish suggestions:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...velCloseUp.jpg
(As you can see in this photo, some of my gravel is quite large. The pieces in front are close to an inch long.)

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...enterLevel.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...RightLevel.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...2LeftLevel.jpg

Byron 02-15-2012 08:13 PM

I like that aquascape, it suggest river or stream. But I agree that the two loach species suggestd would not be suitable. I have both, they like to nose into the sand.

This is an aquascape for barbs or danio. A group (7-8) of Black Ruby Barb would be perfect. You could put some Cherry Barb in with them. The other barbs are too large for a 29g. The Tiger on its own would also be nice, a group of 8-9 but no other fish. Some of the danio might work, have a check through our profiles.

Loaches would match but the trouble is they are large needing more space, except for the dwarfs which I don't think would manage so well. I'll do some research tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Byron.

Oyster Man 02-16-2012 05:59 PM

I looked through the fish profiles.
Based on what I saw, I'm interested in the pearl danio, and/or the black ruby barb. I'm almost more inclined toward the pearl danio; I really like the faded blue and white color it has. However the black ruby barb looks like it would really catch someone's eye in my aquarium.
Would a small school of about six of each work with my aquarium?

I'm also curious. Would I be able to include glass catfish. Their color scheme seems to fit that of the pearl danio. Again, I'm thinking of a small school of about six.

Seeing as the danio prefer shade, and I found out my anubias does as well, I'm considering getting either water sprites or duckweed.

Thanks for the help everyone, let me know what you think.

Byron 02-16-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

I looked through the fish profiles.
Based on what I saw, I'm interested in the pearl danio, and/or the black ruby barb. I'm almost more inclined toward the pearl danio; I really like the faded blue and white color it has. However the black ruby barb looks like it would really catch someone's eye in my aquarium.
Would a small school of about six of each work with my aquarium?
Either would be fine, in a grouop of 8-9. The barb really is a beauty; I now have a group and they are quite unique.

Quote:

I'm also curious. Would I be able to include glass catfish. Their color scheme seems to fit that of the pearl danio. Again, I'm thinking of a small school of about six.
No, on two counts. Not enough plants (they are timid, need good plant cover), and not with such active fish as the barb or danio (timidity again).

Quote:

Seeing as the danio prefer shade, and I found out my anubias does as well, I'm considering getting either water sprites or duckweed.
All these fish will benefit from floating plant cover. Water Sprite is ideal. Duckweed is not so good for this, as it is such a thin layer. WS has substance. Some of the stem plants can also be left floating.

On the substrate fish. I think one of the "odd" catfish might be best in this situation. The Whiptail Catfish comes to mind, and there is the interesting red form though this would blend in with the substrate so the regular whiptail would be more distinctive. There are some other cats that could work but not here; they tend to get large and some need a group.

Byron.

Oyster Man 02-16-2012 07:44 PM

I'm thinking I'll stick with the Black Ruby Barb. It just seems like a very eye catching fish, and it being active seems all the better.

Thanks for informing me on the timidity of the glass catfish.

I looked at the profile for the whip-tail catfish, but like the dwarf loach, it appears to need smaller substrate. However, I am somewhat interested in the striped raphael catfish; or perhaps the bristlenose catfish. I realize however that I'll need to get more cover for either one of the catfish however.

P.S. Sorry if I'm getting annoying. I'm so vehement on fish choosing right now because I'm hoping to purchase or order my fish this weekend.