Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   TetraMin vs. Wardley's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tetramin-vs-wardleys-9335/)

Julie's Julies 11-13-2007 11:24 AM

TetraMin vs. Wardley's

I have been feeding TetraMin flakes to my tropical tank. When I ran out the other day, I bought Wardey's version of the same flakes because the Wardley's was on sale. When I opened the Wardley's, however, the flakes were the drab, brownish-pink colors of my Goldfish flakes and not the rich, dark colors of the TetraMin flakes. Is there a nutritional difference between the two? Is TetraMin better? Is it at all possible that Goldfish flakes got mistakenly labeled as tropical flakes?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure my fish get the proper nutrition they need. I do supplement once a week or so with freeze-dried blood worms and tubifex worms and occasional pea hearts, but they get the majority of their food from the flakes.

fish_4_all 11-13-2007 11:48 AM

I feed my fish Wardleys and grind it into apowder to feed my fry and I have never had a problem with it. I suppliment with a lot of different foods though so their color may be a result of that.

Grindal worms, peas, green beans, cyclopseze, shrimp pellets, and anything els eI have on hand. I think the flakes are fine but maybe a little more varied diet would help them even more than the color of the flakes.

If you want to get a really good flake food that will still give a good variety try HERE . The Earthworm flakes are supposed to a great conditioner food for spawning and the variety of flakes they offer seems to be a great option for quality fish flakes at a good price. I have only tried a sample of a few of them but my fish loved them the first time they ate them. When I get the funds I will be ordering the medley and the decapsulted brine shrimp eggs to offer an ever better and higher quality variety of foods.

Julie's Julies 11-13-2007 12:18 PM

Okay, that makes me feel better. I will keep supplementing the flakes to make sure they get a more varied diet. Appreciate the info!

portnoyd 11-14-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

When I opened the Wardley's, however, the flakes were the drab, brownish-pink colors of my Goldfish flakes and not the rich, dark colors of the TetraMin flakes. Is there a nutritional difference between the two? Is TetraMin better? Is it at all possible that Goldfish flakes got mistakenly labeled as tropical flakes?
Fyi, the reason why the Tetra flakes are so dark and rich is because they use artificial colors (FD&C Red 40, Blue 1, etc) and the Wardley use natural colorants. Check the labels. :)