Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bristlenose Pleco Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bristlenose-pleco-question-93347/)

es31710 02-14-2012 03:29 PM

Bristlenose Pleco Question

Just somehthing I was looking into on the database for fish for new fish for my tank and i realized something. On the Bristlenose page it says the Minimum tank size for 1 Bristlenose is 10 gallons. Is that correct. Not trying to question whoever wrote the page or edited it but i was wondering if thats entirely correct.

Calmwaters 02-14-2012 03:33 PM

Personally I would not put a bristlenose in a 10 gallon, the only algea eater I would do in a 10 are Otos.

es31710 02-14-2012 04:30 PM

That's what I thought I was just questioning why it was in the database.

Calmwaters 02-14-2012 05:56 PM

You should PM Byron if its wrong he will fix it. ; )

Byron 02-14-2012 06:11 PM

I see no problem with a single BN in a 10g. The fish attains 3-4 inches and does not swim. I've often suggested a Whiptail Catfish for a 10g, and the parallel is similar. I myself wouldn't do this, more because the fish would "look odd" or out of place in a small environment proportionally to its own size. But biologically-speaking, if the tank provides what the fish needs, and the aquarist really like this fish and only has a 10g, it would work. And remember, the minimum tank sizes are for the specific fish only, not necessarily including others.

H'mm, I am usually criticized for suggesting large tanks...

Byron.

Calmwaters 02-14-2012 10:12 PM

I knew you would know the answer. ; )

es31710 02-14-2012 10:17 PM

I am not criticizing you. I often say you can put one in a ten gallon tank but then people start jumping down my throat about it. I was just wondering what your reasoning was but it seems it would be the same as mine. I mean if you really want the fish and you have the right water parometers and live plants I don't see anything wrong with it. I often would say i would not add anymore fish with the bristlenose Pleco. I was wondering what you suggest if you think it could thrive with other fish in the tank. Also I am not an expert on Bristlenose's but my local stores for fish suggest the Albino Bristlenose is smaller than the regular bristlenose. I was wondering if you could confirm that fact. I just want to know if that is true or not because I have doubts it is due from my understanding albinism is inherited from the recessive genes of its parents not altering its size and color just altering its pigments.

beetlebz 02-14-2012 11:49 PM

by female BN just sits on her leaf all day. I know she eats. she doesnt have a sunken belly, infact shes a little portly. But she just sits on her leaf. She could do that in a coffee mug lol

Maybe she needs to find a job....

I grew mine out in a 10g, put her in a 20g long after a year or so, shes still not that active. She lived with a male betta in the 10g and was fine. I shoulda just left her there...

Tazman 02-14-2012 11:56 PM

My 3 BN's that I have in my cichlid tank are extremely active at night...they clean the algae up something great.

beetlebz 02-15-2012 12:14 AM

maybe my girly needs her a man :lol:

I notice alot of algae spots that miraculously disappear. My anubias when i brought it home was covered in algae and diatoms, the next morning it looked like a shiney new plant. OTOH im not there anymore at night to watch :(