Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   i need help with my pump from wet/dry filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-need-help-my-pump-wet-93308/)

osti 02-13-2012 11:12 PM

i need help with my pump from wet/dry filter

I am setting up a 150 gallon tank for Discus. I have my sump filter all set up and the pump i am using is a sunterra 1250,that i found on craigslist for a good price,which has a gph of 1250. I have a ball valve to regulate the return flow to the tank, now my question is, with the ball valve regulating the return to the tank, will this reduce the life of the pump ? any help on how to set this up would be great, or would this not hurt the pump ? i am using 1" pvc for the return line.

Tazman 02-13-2012 11:48 PM

It really depends on how much you are restricting the flow.

You have an extremely powerful pump there which is more suited for ponds than aquariums. I am going to say that it might be too much unless you have an extremely fast overflow.

AbbeysDad 02-14-2012 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be my $.02 that you might hook up a simple bypass so any excess is diverted back to the sump and re-filtered. This ensures that there is little back pressure on the pump. Crude drawing follows:

Tazman 02-14-2012 08:01 AM

My concern is this pump has a 19ft head height and even with a return flow to the sump, I think the flow will simply be too much to make it viable for use in the sump.

The pump is capable of creating a fountain from 7ft deep down in a pond! Not to mention it would need an extremely fast overflow to keep up with it's demands.

Geomancer 02-14-2012 09:02 AM

Not to mention Discus like extremely calm water....

Any reason you want such a powerful pump? A simple canister filter with 350 gph is more than sufficient for a 150g tank.

osti 02-14-2012 05:42 PM

wet/dry pump

thanks for the ideas i will try the bypass valve. i'm using this pump because i got a good deal on it from craigslist and i built my own wet/dry filter so it is more of a project that i wanted to do. i figured i can always downsize the pump I'm having so much fun with this it's just epic

Tazman 02-14-2012 06:38 PM

what gph are you getting from your overflow?

Wet dry filters need relatively low flow rate to be effective.

osti 02-14-2012 09:51 PM

overflow

i am using a weir overflow rated at 1000 gph which is why i want to turn down the return to the tank

Tazman 02-14-2012 10:15 PM

I have to say for discus I really think this system is going to way too much for them, regardless of what you do.

They do not need nor like strong flow rates and you need a return pump running at least 1000gph even before you take head height into account...I think with the pump you have it will produce too much flow even turned down enough to match your overflow.

Obviously it cannot run slower than the overflow otherwise you get a flooded sump and floor, likewise the pump cannot run faster than your overflow, otherwise you can potentially flood the tank and run the pump dry...with the powerful pump you have I think it will just be too much for discus to be happy with.

What size sump do you have?

osti 02-15-2012 09:16 PM

pump

thanks for all the ideas i think i will go with a smaller pump and go from there,, my sump is a 40 gallon