Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Corkscrew Val Salad? Advice Sought. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/corkscrew-val-salad-advice-sought-93251/)

onemanswarm 02-13-2012 12:05 PM

Corkscrew Val Salad? Advice Sought.

Perhaps I should have left some food out for the snails when I left town this weekend. I had recently planted Corkscrew Val and upon return, every leaf been mowed down to about 2" in height (down 6-8" across the board). I only had to watch the tank for about 5 minutes before I saw the Apple snail make a trip to the salad bar, but I suspect he may have had dinner company in the form of my growing herd of MTS.

Questions:

1) The snails have not gone after any plant matter that wasn't dead or dying. Is it possible that I bought a dying Corkscrew Val, or is this species known to be particularly appetizing to snails?

2) I'm inclined to replace the stubby remains of the plant with something more attractive, but before I do anything, I thought I'd open it up for discussion. If I leave it alone, is there a chance it will grow back (assuming it wasn't already dying)? If so, I may just leave it. If nothing else, I won't need to supplement food for the snails for awhile.

Thanks!

Geomancer 02-13-2012 12:56 PM

I would be interested in knowing the answers as well. I was thinking of actually trying to find Malaysian Trumpet Snails for my wife's Betta tank, it has a sand substrate and I'd really like them to keep it aerated.

I don't want to find my plants missing though =D

Byron 02-13-2012 01:01 PM

I can't speak about Apple Snails, but I can assure you that Malaysian Trumpet Snails will not eat healthy plants. Nor will pond or bladder snails. But they will devour dying leaves, which brings me to the Vallisneria.

When first acquired, most plants often go through a period of adjustment to different conditions. This often includes losing existing leaves, which will slowly yellow over a period of days to weeks. Snails will naturally feed on these, that is one of their benefits.

Again, I've no data on Apple Snails.

onemanswarm 02-13-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 981418)
I would be interested in knowing the answers as well. I was thinking of actually trying to find Malaysian Trumpet Snails for my wife's Betta tank, it has a sand substrate and I'd really like them to keep it aerated.

I don't want to find my plants missing though =D

I acquired mine by looking at every tank at every LFS I went to until I found one teeming with MTS. They sent me out the door with a bag of 10 big ones. A month later, they're thriving to say the least. I've read that they can be relied upon to regulate their own numbers based on food supply, so I'm hoping that their reproduction plateaus! PM me if you can't get them the easy way and I'll see about shipping you some.

onemanswarm 02-13-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 981424)
I can't speak about Apple Snails, but I can assure you that Malaysian Trumpet Snails will not eat healthy plants. Nor will pond or bladder snails. But they will devour dying leaves, which brings me to the Vallisneria.

When first acquired, most plants often go through a period of adjustment to different conditions. This often includes losing existing leaves, which will slowly yellow over a period of days to weeks. Snails will naturally feed on these, that is one of their benefits.

Again, I've no data on Apple Snails.

Aside from reading that Apple Snails are plant friendly, my own evidence is entirely anecdotal. My specimen has been housed with a number of delicious plants for about 6 weeks now and this is the first time I've witnessed it feeding on any plant matter that wasn't obviously decaying (e.g., yellowing emersed sword leaf).

I suppose I'll leave the Val alone for now and see how it responds. Its plant brethren all seem to be doing very well, so I have reason to hold out hope for a revival even though at this point it looks like it needs ET's touch.