Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Fish ID ?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/fish-id-93229/)

TheAngryAadvark 02-13-2012 04:53 AM

Fish ID ??

1 Attachment(s)
Hey

So today i went to the LFS to buy some neons and instead saw three quite interesting fish. It was the first

time the shop had stocked it so they didn't know the name (most shops over here don't generally have accurate

names). I didn't have a camera of any kind on me so I drew this from memory:roll: .

The fish is only about 1-2 and a half inches long and it has a golden sheen starting in the middle and goes to the

tail. The front is silvery. I believe the tail is much flatter and not as point as that with a soft curve at the back.

Any help would be appreciated because i really want to pick up this fish soon .

Cheers!

1077 02-13-2012 06:23 AM

Perhaps one of the many Rainbow fishes.

Byron 02-13-2012 12:15 PM

Make sure you do identify it before buying any. The risks are great. It may be a potentially large fish that will outgrow your tank, it may be predatory, it may need a group or may have to be kept alone, it may have totally different needs respecting water chemistry, decor, ...

Some stores have books available for identification. Some even have a computer with internet access. At the very least, they should know the name the supplier gave to the fish. Ask the manager to look up the invoice. Of course, if this is one of the chain stores, it is possible they just get "fish" in with no idea what they are. Poor fish.

Before I learned my lesson, I had to return fish, or destroy some, solely because they didn't work in my tanks.

Tazman 02-13-2012 12:42 PM

Agreed on doing the research before purchasing fish.

I have seen baby silver arowana in pet smart before, and they require massive tanks when adult.

Did it look anything like this?

TheAngryAadvark 02-14-2012 11:03 AM

Hey thanks for the replies ! So after a bit on the net i found out that the fish in question is a

Golden Wonder Killifish! looks like my memory sucks i got the fins completely wrong lol. Anyway on top of that i

did what byron said and confirmed with the dealer by asking him to check his invoice and yup its a match..

Good thing i didn't buy on impulse because it grows 4 inches long and is semi-aggresive especially towards fish like neons which i have in the tank .

so thanks guys hope to see you around the forum !!

MinaMinaMina 02-14-2012 01:51 PM

lol... I was going to suggest a fish that was DEF not a killi! lol But I'm glad you found out!

fryup 02-14-2012 02:03 PM

Bosemani rainbow maybe ?? :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

MinaMinaMina 02-14-2012 03:35 PM

Ha, ha! You got it fryup!

fryup 02-15-2012 01:54 AM

Sorry I kinda read the first comment and didnt read rest haha ...... So you found what it is yet ?? :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

TheAngryAadvark 02-16-2012 12:27 AM

Lol i already said Golden Wonder Killifish