Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What fish species OVER 3" mature can I stock in a 55 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-fish-species-over-3-mature-93149/)

Canadian Fish 02-12-2012 08:02 AM

What fish species OVER 3" mature can I stock in a 55 gallon tank?

I am a novice at this hobby, and this forum. Up until now we've just kept twin barred platies and julli corys in a 20 Gallon tank. We just bought a 200 Gallon tank that we are cycling.

As per my previous post, I would really like to try a Red Tailed Shark and I was wondering if I can keep the RTS, 2 Opaline Gouramis, and 7 Rosy Barbs together in the 55 Gallon tank?

However much of the info I'm getting back suggests with the RTS it is hit and miss if they will get along with other fish as they mature. So I am open to other suggestions.

Because we keep small fish in the 20 Gallon tank, i'd really like to keep most of the fish in the 55 Gallon tank to species that are at least 4" fully grown.

OR, if there is a species of fish that is 9 - 10" mature that I can use as a centrepiece for my tank, than I would be happy to stock the rest of the tank with smaller fish to complement the single large fish.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are excited to start stocking our new aquarium once it is cycled. The tank was a birthday present, I turn 37 today. Thanks!

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 02-12-2012 09:10 AM

Happy Birthday! Now onto the fish. I personally have never owned a Red Tailed Shark and thats because they can cause trouble in the tank. They are aggressive chasers, but they don't really harm your other fish but this can cause stress.
You could do a group of 5 Yo Yo loaches (Botia almorhae). They are active when kept in a group and reach 6 inches in length.

2 Opaline Gouramis
7 Rosy Barbs
6 Yo Yo loaches

Tazman 02-12-2012 09:35 AM

Happy Birthday first of all..

"We just bought a 200 Gallon tank that we are cycling."

Am slightly confused here, is this a typo or do you have a 200g tank? If you have then you can add a whole bunch of fish into it and make a very impressive display tank.

Canadian Fish 02-12-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 980387)
Happy Birthday first of all..

"We just bought a 200 Gallon tank that we are cycling."

Am slightly confused here, is this a typo or do you have a 200g tank? If you have then you can add a whole bunch of fish into it and make a very impressive display tank.

Sorry, that is a typo. It's just a 48" 55 gallon tank. The tank is 200 litres and I had previously been on a UK site.

Canadian Fish 02-12-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 980370)
Happy Birthday! Now onto the fish. I personally have never owned a Red Tailed Shark and thats because they can cause trouble in the tank. They are aggressive chasers, but they don't really harm your other fish but this can cause stress.
You could do a group of 5 Yo Yo loaches (Botia almorhae). They are active when kept in a group and reach 6 inches in length.

2 Opaline Gouramis
7 Rosy Barbs
6 Yo Yo loaches

Thanks, those are interesting looking fish. One problem may be that I have aquarium gravel substrate. Do yo-yos require sand substrate?

I have an Aquaclear 70 filter and according to this:

Fish Calculator

my filter would be seriously inadequate for this many fish. Of course I don't know how accurate this is.

Do you know what sort of substrate the loaches require, and is 6 the smallest number that should be kept together?

Thanks for the suggestion!

magpie 02-12-2012 01:03 PM

What are your water parameters (pH, hardness, etc)?

Also, are you going to do live plants?

magpie 02-12-2012 01:34 PM

I remember reading somewhere that rainbow sharks are a better choice than red tails for most communities... maybe do a little research on them?