Tropical Fish Keeping banner

swim bladder problem?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mHeinitz57 
#1 ·
I've had my betta for almost 2 years now and he's never had any health problems. He's always been active and eaten like a pig! Suddenly he started floating uncontrollably at the top of the tank. Of course I thought.. he's dieing.. but then I read something about Betta Constipation. So I tried giving him small pieces of a pea.. but he wouldn't eat it. I tried the Epson Salt bath twice a day for three days (20-30mins) but that didn't clear the problem either. I changed his water and made sure it was at a comfy tempurature. So it's been a week & a half and he's still miserable and not eating. :cry: What else can I do?

#2 ·
Bettas generally live about 3-4 years on average but 2 years is a pretty good length of time to have one considering they arent always sold as babies in the stores. It's possible that the fish is just showing signs of old age. Swim bladder diseases can be related to bacterial infections and not just constipation. Usually constipation is a cause of swim bladder disorder in goldfish, where the pnuemocystic duct is blocked. Bacterial infections though can cause the walls of the bladder to harden and thicken which disallows flow of oxygen. There are medicated foods you can use but otherwise you may try an antibiotic in the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.