Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   cory whiskers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cory-whiskers-9309/)

MegK 11-12-2007 09:11 AM

cory whiskers

my brother was starring at my tank yesterday, as the corys entertain him so much, and h noticed that my small male bronze cory had barely any whiskers!

i was watching him too, and he just has these little tiny tiny whiskers.. he cant swift through the sand like the other corys and i dont think they were ever bitten off... i dont recall him ever having whiskers...

do you think he is "special"? id get a picture but he is my smallest cory and shy.

Lupin 11-12-2007 04:50 PM

It's either injury from sharp substrate or bacterial infection which explains the disintegration of the barbels. I've seen this quite a lot and when I started using Indian almond leaves, the barbels healed. You could use it. Other alternatives are peat and driftwood but you must know first your hardness levels or risk swinging the pH.

MegK 11-12-2007 08:10 PM

well theres wood in the tank he is in now and he will be moved into my big tank with wood

theres no sharp subtrate.. so do u think that its an infection? the water is being treated with salt

Lupin 11-12-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegK
theres no sharp subtrate.. so do u think that its an infection? the water is being treated with salt

I would be careful with salt for scaleless fish such as corydoras. To be safe, try dissolving it before adding it.

MegK 11-13-2007 07:43 AM

oh well... its a little late now lol

after i move him and such ill let u kno if they get better, or it might be another issue ?

fish_4_all 11-13-2007 11:54 AM

The salt could very well be causing the shorter barbels. When I used aquarium salt I did not see a good length on my cories. When I stopped their whiskers got very long and very full. This with sharp and rough aquarium gravel from the LFS. A little might not hurt them but unless you are treating for ich or other ailment you really don't need it.

MegK 11-13-2007 02:09 PM

yea it was for ich. i guess maybe that caused it?

coley 11-13-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
It's either injury from sharp substrate or bacterial infection which explains the disintegration of the barbels. I've seen this quite a lot and when I started using Indian almond leaves, the barbels healed. You could use it. Other alternatives are peat and driftwood but you must know first your hardness levels or risk swinging the pH.

What do you do with the Indian almond leaves?

Lupin 11-13-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coley
What do you do with the Indian almond leaves?

I simply leave them in my tank bottom. Either that or place them in your filter. You can cut them into smaller pieces and pack them in a nylon bag and place them in a filter.

Lupin 11-13-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegK
yea it was for ich. i guess maybe that caused it?

It's possible. It can also cause burns on fish if they rub against grains of salt.