Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Good schooling fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/good-schooling-fish-93062/)

Tannerj 02-11-2012 06:37 AM

Good schooling fish?

So, im starting up a 56 gallon, and im getting harlequin rasboras, and maybe some neons, but i was wondering what other schooling fish would be good for it? i was thinking about boesemani rainbowfish. PLZ help

Adamson 02-11-2012 06:49 AM

My Tiger barbs school really well and it looks great, they play with each other and chase each other across the tank. I have a 50 gallon and have 7 of them, I should have gotten 10..

nicolaas 02-11-2012 07:30 AM

If you get tigers your compatibility is low.
Maybe some Glowlight rasbora or tetra or the Lemon tetra

Romad 02-11-2012 08:42 AM

I've got 9 of the Boesman rainbows in my 75 gallon. They're really beautiful fish so I give a thumbs up :thumbsup:

Tracy Bird 02-11-2012 08:43 AM

You might want to consider 10-12 Rummy Nose Tetras in a tank that size.

They look great and they do EVERYTHING together......

I have some with my Rasbora's and they are absoultely one of my favorites.

RUMMY NOSE TETRA LINK

Have fun and be PATIENT!

thekoimaiden 02-11-2012 06:11 PM

If you want a tightly schooling fish I would go with a rummynose. Those and cardinal tetra are my favorite tetra although cardinals don't school as tightly.

Tannerj 02-11-2012 07:31 PM

Im thinking of boesemanis... Im debating on getting neons or not cuz i want angelfish

MinaMinaMina 02-11-2012 07:49 PM

Telling us your water parameters would be helpful. Temp, pH, hardness? And fish that are currently in there, and fish that you want to add? So we can ensure compatibility?

Tannerj 02-11-2012 07:53 PM

Well its not set up yet, it was a saltwater, but im converting back to fresh. And heres the list im thinking of

1. Harlequin Rasboras
2. Corys
3. Clown loaches
4. Rainbow shark
5. Pearl Gourami (1 or 2)
6. Silver Hatchets

And then heres the ones im debating over

1. Angels
2. Neons
3. Boesemanis
4. Electric Blue Rams
5. Pictus Cats

The tank size is 56 gallons

MinaMinaMina 02-11-2012 08:12 PM

I applaud you for doing some research before you stock your tank!!! That is really commendable!!! :-D

BUT... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... There are some problems here. Some more research is needed. You can click on the shaded species names for more information.

In the fist set up, the Rainbow Shark will become aggressive towards the other bottom dwellers, especially the Corydoras. The Clown Loach will become too big for you tank. And if you have 2 Pearl Gourami, they should be a mated pair. You could do this set up without the Rainbow Shark and Clown Loach, but you should research how the Pearl Gourami and Silver Hatchetfish will get along.

In the second set up, there's a good chance that as soon as the Pictus Catfish and Scalare Angelfish get big enough, they'll eat the Neon Tetra. The Boeseman Rainbowfish and Pictus Catfish will be too active for the sedate Scalare Angelfish. The Scalare Angelfish should be kept in either a breeding pair (which would not work with the other fish), or in a group of 5 or more (which wouldn't give you room for the other fish). The Gernan Blue Ram (electric blue color variation) need temperatures that are too high for the other fish.

If you give us your favorite fish that you'd def like to keep, and your water parameters (pH, hardness, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, tank dimensions, etc), then we can build a tank around them.