Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   white cloudiness (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/white-cloudiness-93001/)

George9617 02-10-2012 11:17 AM

white cloudiness

2 Attachment(s)
i cant seem to get rid of this cloudiness at first i thought it was copepod larva, but i dont know anymore.ive already changed the water (20% at a time). the fish are fine and my skimmer wont get it.heres a couple pics

onefish2fish 02-10-2012 11:49 AM

how long has this tank been running for? are you using RO/DI water? running carbon? is your powerhead blowing sand?

George9617 02-10-2012 01:25 PM

The tank I wanna say has been up since oct,but it was an upgrade so I had cured live rock to aid the cycle. setup with cured tap water.i dont think its the water type cause my seahorse tank is crystal clear.I am running carbon through a biofilter and no the sand is not bothered by the powerhead. At the risk of sounding foolish, could it be that I rinse my carbon rather than replace it?

onefish2fish 02-10-2012 02:27 PM

i dont know if its the carbon, but personally i would replace it rather rinse it.

if you have a sump i would try using a filter sock and see what that does. make sure it gets cleaned every couple days.

George9617 02-10-2012 03:21 PM

No sump but is a filter sock anything like those super microfiber sheets cause I added one to my biofilter

Reefing Madness 02-10-2012 06:12 PM

Ok, I don't see enough Rock for one, and not enough flow for 2. You can't rinse out the carbon, once its full it will leach back into the water column. 2 Powerheads would be great, one in each corner blowing at each other, slightly across the top, to break the surface up some, better gas exchange.

George9617 02-11-2012 12:36 AM

I have one submersible pump as a powerhead ,and I will get new. Carbon ASAP but I don't have a lot of cash to dish out after my seahorse tank so additional current will have to wait

Reefing Madness 02-11-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George9617 (Post 979462)
I have one submersible pump as a powerhead ,and I will get new. Carbon ASAP but I don't have a lot of cash to dish out after my seahorse tank so additional current will have to wait

:thumbsup:

George9617 02-11-2012 06:31 PM

ok i replaced all three parts of my filter this morning,carbon, sponge and pellets .its 6:30 and ive yet to see a change, also i do have a water fall from the biofilter making more flow(prob to cloudy to see)which would make for both corners, and there was more rock but i had to put some in my new tank.how long should this take to clear....or am i looking at a bigger problem?

Reefing Madness 02-11-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George9617 (Post 979974)
ok i replaced all three parts of my filter this morning,carbon, sponge and pellets .its 6:30 and ive yet to see a change, also i do have a water fall from the biofilter making more flow(prob to cloudy to see)which would make for both corners, and there was more rock but i had to put some in my new tank.how long should this take to clear....or am i looking at a bigger problem?

Filters are not considered flow in a tank, they usually just break the surface when returning water. If you had the correct rock and flow, it would only take a 24hr period. Even without a whole lot of flow, I've never seen a tank take more than a week to clear up by itself.