Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   need help with my zebra danio asap!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/need-help-my-zebra-danio-asap-92965/)

svtcobra22 02-09-2012 06:46 PM

need help with my zebra danio asap!!

hey so earlier today i bought 2 zebra danios and as i was taking the fish out of the bag with the net to put into the tank on of them jumped from the net and hit the floor i quickly put him in the tank and now hes just on the bottom on his side. hes still breathing and moves around a bit. i have no clue what i should do. should i wait it out to see if he gets better or is it a no go on him?

ladayen 02-09-2012 07:14 PM

Just make sure the water is clean. Nothing you can do really. He may have internal injuries that will kill him eventually. He may just be stressed and sore and need some recuperation time.

MinaMinaMina 02-09-2012 07:16 PM

I believe in always giving them a chance.
When you picked him up, was your hand wet or dry?
If your hand was dry, you inadvertently could have damaged his natural slime coat. If you have Stress Coat on hand, it wouldn't hurt to add the appropriate amount to the tank.
Other than that, he could just be shocky. Make sure your water parameters are and stay perfect (pH, temp, hardness, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate). I would turn off the aquarium light to help ease his stress. I would avoid messing with the tank as much as you can to avoid stressing him. Are there other fish in the tank besides the other Danio? If so, we may need to brainstorm a way to keep them from bothering him.
Poor guy. I'm pulling for him!

svtcobra22 02-09-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina (Post 978319)
I believe in always giving them a chance.
When you picked him up, was your hand wet or dry?
If your hand was dry, you inadvertently could have damaged his natural slime coat. If you have Stress Coat on hand, it wouldn't hurt to add the appropriate amount to the tank.
Other than that, he could just be shocky. Make sure your water parameters are and stay perfect (pH, temp, hardness, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate). I would turn off the aquarium light to help ease his stress. I would avoid messing with the tank as much as you can to avoid stressing him. Are there other fish in the tank besides the other Danio? If so, we may need to brainstorm a way to keep them from bothering him.
Poor guy. I'm pulling for him!

my hand was a little wet. and i have giant danio 2 cory catfish 1 white skirt tetra and one black skirt tetra. the fish dont bother him at all. i was thinking of adding more stress coat. he trys to swim around but then ends up on the bottom again

svtcobra22 02-09-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtcobra22 (Post 978324)
my hand was a little wet. and i have giant danio 2 cory catfish 1 white skirt tetra and one black skirt tetra. the fish dont bother him at all. i was thinking of adding more stress coat. he trys to swim around but then ends up on the bottom again

by the way he still has his color. i dont see any color fade at all. the color is still bright which i believe is a good thing.

MinaMinaMina 02-09-2012 08:33 PM

Ha ha, ladayen! I think we were posting at the same time. :lol:

I'm glad he still has color. Just keep a very close eye that the skirt tetras aren't bothering him, they can be bullies. If its the species I'm thinking of, Black Widow Tetra (and the other is a color varient), then they can be bullies/fin biters when kept in groups of less than 9 or so. When you get the Zebra Danio through this and if you have stable water parameters and enough room, I would strongly encourage adding more to make larger groups. That way, hopefully everyone will play nice.

Good luck, and keep us updated on the little guy!

svtcobra22 02-09-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina (Post 978418)
Ha ha, ladayen! I think we were posting at the same time. :lol:

I'm glad he still has color. Just keep a very close eye that the skirt tetras aren't bothering him, they can be bullies. If its the species I'm thinking of, Black Widow Tetra (and the other is a color varient), then they can be bullies/fin biters when kept in groups of less than 9 or so. When you get the Zebra Danio through this and if you have stable water parameters and enough room, I would strongly encourage adding more to make larger groups. That way, hopefully everyone will play nice.

Good luck, and keep us updated on the little guy!

It seems as if the black skirt tetra is protecting the little guy hes like chillin by him.and whenever another fish cimes by he chases them away

svtcobra22 02-10-2012 03:52 PM

so heres an update. i woke up this morning and my zebra danio died so i took him to the pet store where i got hime from and they said he prolly had some sort of internal injury and they gave me another zebra danio. so everything is all good now. thanks you guys for the help and all the advice you gave me.