Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Amazon Sword and Anacharis issues. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/amazon-sword-anacharis-issues-92873/)

jhays79 02-08-2012 06:30 PM

Amazon Sword and Anacharis issues.

I have an amazon sword that seems to be doing okay, but when it sprouts new leaves down at the base they're a transluscent purple looking color, not green at all. Is that normal? The rest of the big leaves are green, just the new growth is purple?

Also, what can you use to keep the anacharis planted in the substrate? I've tried rubber bands to hold them togther, and have tried using the lead weight strip that they come with from the LFS. I also tried seperating the stems and burying them in the gravel, but within a day they're back floating around the tank. Drivign me nuts!! I don't like the way the rubber bands and lead weights "strangle" the lower part of the plant, it seems to make them rot that way. Any suggetions I'm all ears! thanks!

GwenInNM 02-08-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhays79 (Post 977248)
I have an amazon sword that seems to be doing okay, but when it sprouts new leaves down at the base they're a transluscent purple looking color, not green at all. Is that normal? The rest of the big leaves are green, just the new growth is purple?

Also, what can you use to keep the anacharis planted in the substrate? I've tried rubber bands to hold them togther, and have tried using the lead weight strip that they come with from the LFS. I also tried seperating the stems and burying them in the gravel, but within a day they're back floating around the tank. Drivign me nuts!! I don't like the way the rubber bands and lead weights "strangle" the lower part of the plant, it seems to make them rot that way. Any suggetions I'm all ears! thanks!

You must have shallow gravel, or fish digging them up. I don't care for that plant, but if buried deep enough, shouldn't be popping up.

I'd try finding a strong, small plastic netting. Actually PetCo, sells a "brick" with moss on it, and has this with it. It's $8.99, but if you took the moss off, and anchored it with thread onto a piece of wood, etc, you could use this netting. Pull the plant bottom though it, and bury the netting with plants stuck in it, in the gravel or whatever substrate you have. That's what I'd try. See what others suggest :)

That would drive me nuts too!

fish monger 02-08-2012 07:30 PM

If the new Amazon leaves grow into healthy leaves, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, I never noticed that problem before. Don't be afraid to plant the anacharis deeply. If necessary, place a small rock over the part of the stems in the gravel. All stem plants have this problem until they develop roots.

DKRST 02-08-2012 07:53 PM

Are you certain it's an Amazon sword? Some sword varieties like the Ozelot sword have red/purple young leaves that turn green with age.

jhays79 02-09-2012 05:26 AM

i'm pretty sure its an amazon. it doesnt have leaves as long as the ozelot sword