Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First Death In my First Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-death-my-first-tank-92793/)

Mgreen 02-07-2012 06:31 PM

First Death In my First Tank

I came home from work today only to realize one of my young Honey Sunset Gouramis was dead. There are 11 other fish, one other gourami, in the tank. This fish was fine, my tank is fine, I have checked everything out. I am not sure what has caused this to happen. The fish was only about half grown. All the other fish seem to be acting normal, I am going to be on the look out. Was wondering if there is anything special I should do.

SeaHorse 02-07-2012 06:56 PM

Hi Mgreen! It is always hard to loose a fish. Can you tell us how long this tank has been set up? How big is it?
Do you test your water? and what are the readings? Any live plants?
Temp and PH too if you can. This will help us to maybe sort it out for you.
Sorry for your loss.

Mgreen 02-07-2012 07:04 PM

Thank you, Tank is six weeks new, temp is 76. Ihave a ph and amonia tester intalled. Ph is high, have been having trouble keeping it down it is currently 7.8. Ammonia is at a safe level. There are no live plants. 36 gallon tank with 4 tetra, 4 glofish, 1 otocinclus, 1 algea eater, and now only 1 gourami. Did the routine 25% water change 2 weeks ago.

SeaHorse 02-07-2012 07:26 PM

ok so a couple of things that comes immediately to minds is you may not be quite thru the cycle. it can take 6-8 weeks in total, without live plants.
Also you mentioned trying to lower your ph. this is not a good idea at all. it is very stressful on fish. How are you trying to lower it and why are you trying to lower it?
You should be at either the end of the NitrIte stage or entering the NitrAte stage. Can you get a API liquied testing kit at some point and post your numbers?

Mgreen 02-07-2012 07:38 PM

I have not done anything inparticular to lower the Ph number, just water changes. I was however, under the impression that ph should be at 7, which is why I wanted it to lower. I have to get a test kit from the store, but this may take a few days because of my schedule, however if I have any further problems I will make it a must to save face with my new tank.

SeaHorse 02-07-2012 07:42 PM

Well 7 is Neutral but some fish, depending on the species like high or low ph. If you have live bearers like mollies, swordtails, guppies, then the ph needs to be toward 8. If you are into Discus then you need softer water at 6.
So it depends on the fish you wish to keep, and it's needs.
Mine is 8.2 and I have a huge abundance of babies.... mollies and swordtails.

Mgreen 02-07-2012 08:00 PM

I see, I have tetra, glofish, and Gourami. So these are hardy fish..which would mean high ph is good?

ladayen 02-07-2012 10:43 PM

High PH isn't necessarily good for those fish.. but changing it is probably going to cause more damage. What exactly is your ammonia? The only safe amount is 0. What is the other species of gourami? They dont tend to get along well usually. Oh.. and what is the algae eater?

Mgreen 02-08-2012 01:06 PM

Ammonia is zero, I have the in tank tester. The other Gourami is same species, Honey Sunset. Very docile, both of them were. THere are two algea eaters, one otocinclus and the other is a basic algea eater.

KendraMc 02-08-2012 01:26 PM

one thing i notice, you say you did a water change 2 weeks ago? they should be weekly, if not more frequent.

also, how long had this particular fish been in the tank and when was the most recent thing added?

these can both help determine a reason.