Tropical Fish Keeping banner

questions about sexing gouramis please help

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
so im some what new to fish keeping i have had fish in the past like when i was a kid and i just recently got back into it i now have a 55ish gallon tank with 2 gold gouramis and 1 blue gourami so here is my question?

1 i think my larger golden gourami is a male i was reading how they have a more pointy dorsal fin and my 2 smaller ones are females because they have a more round shaped fin is this true

2 the larger male ( or what i think is the male) is very lazy about swimming around he kind of just swims in place near the middle or top of the tank unless one of the others swim by then he likes to show off his fins by fanning them out

my tank has been setup and cycled for around a month or 2 now there are live plants in the tank no bubble nests at the moment i dont really care if they breed or not because im sure they will either eat the fry or my african black clawed frog will make a meal of them but im just curious if the fins determine male from female and also wondering why the larger one is so lazy thanks for any help !!

#2 ·
i posted this somewhere else on the forum and then found this thread

so im some what new to fish keeping i have had fish in the past like when i was a kid and i just recently got back into it i now have a 55ish gallon tank with 2 gold gouramis and 1 Blue Gourami so here is my question?

1 i think my larger golden gourami is a male i was reading how they have a more pointy dorsal fin and my 2 smaller ones are females because they have a more round shaped fin is this true

2 the larger male ( or what i think is the male) is very lazy about swimming around he kind of just swims in place near the middle or top of the tank unless one of the others swim by then he likes to show off his fins by fanning them out

my tank has been setup and cycled for around a month or 2 now there are live plants in the tank no bubble nests at the moment i dont really care if they breed or not because im sure they will either eat the fry or my african black clawed frog will make a meal of them but im just curious if the fins determine male from female and also wondering why the larger one is so lazy thanks for any help !!

#3 · (Edited)
I can't explain why one may be lazy but I would point out that by nature all gourami just cruise around. They do not normally swim "fast." They love thick floating plants and they will just glide within the mass of floating plants, picking off microscopic food (plankton). They live in very sluggish water such as swamps. A very relaxed "laid back" lifestyle.:lol:

Males do have a pointed dorsal and anal fin, and are the larger. The Blue and Gold are the same species, Trichopodus trichopterus, click the shaded name to see the info in the profile.

They will almost certainly spawn at some point, and the male will fiercely guard the eggs until the fry hatch. Several might well survive in the floating plants.

By the way, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. [And, I merged the two threads.]

Byron.

#5 ·
I have no personal knowledge of the frog, but I think it likely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.