Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   plant food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plant-food-92680/)

yyankeeyankeefan 02-06-2012 02:27 PM

plant food

i have puchased plant food for my tank. it says 2-3 times a week. how much is to much?

Geomancer 02-06-2012 03:33 PM

What kind did you get?

Best to follow the directions on the bottle, start with 2 and see how it goes.

yyankeeyankeefan 02-06-2012 03:36 PM

another question how do i keep my filter from sucking up my duckweed?

yyankeeyankeefan 02-06-2012 03:37 PM

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium

that is the kind of plant food i got.

Geomancer 02-06-2012 05:59 PM

That's a very good fertilizer, but I believe it says 1 to 2 times a week doesn't it? Don't use it on the same day as your partial water change, the water conditioner can neutralize some of the nutrients.

I'm not sure how you can prevent the duckweed from going in the filter. Either reduce the flow rate, or try to make a barrier on the surface to keep them away.

yyankeeyankeefan 02-06-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 975209)
That's a very good fertilizer, but I believe it says 1 to 2 times a week doesn't it? Don't use it on the same day as your partial water change, the water conditioner can neutralize some of the nutrients.

I'm not sure how you can prevent the duckweed from going in the filter. Either reduce the flow rate, or try to make a barrier on the surface to keep them away.

it says 2-3 times a week. i am going to try and keep it up. i was thinking maybe some pantyhose on the filter to keep the duckweed from getting caught in there.

Byron 02-07-2012 11:54 AM

On the Flourish Comprehensive, it depends upon your plants and your aquarium biology. Some nutrients occur naturally in tap water and fish food. It takes a bit of experimenting, but my method with Flourish (which I use in all my tanks) is once a week (the day following the water change) and then if the plants appear to be struggling, a second dose 3 days after the first. I always use the amount they recommend, which works out to 2.5ml (or 1/2 teaspoon) per 30 gallons at each dose. Always give the aquarium 3-4 weeks before adjusting it again.

yyankeeyankeefan 02-07-2012 06:23 PM

i went with a net. that way i didn't take the chance of hurting the fish by putting something not intended for fish in the tank. works well! not hang issues with it at all. where it is a new tank should i use it twice and then go down from there or just use it once a week and call it good. i have CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate as gravel along with just some standard stone gravel. so i don't want to over do it either.

Byron 02-07-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan (Post 976363)
i went with a net. that way i didn't take the chance of hurting the fish by putting something not intended for fish in the tank. works well! not hang issues with it at all. where it is a new tank should i use it twice and then go down from there or just use it once a week and call it good. i have CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate as gravel along with just some standard stone gravel. so i don't want to over do it either.

I would use it once a week.

yyankeeyankeefan 02-07-2012 08:11 PM