Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycle tank with no gravel? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycle-tank-no-gravel-9263/)

FishAddict99 11-08-2007 08:54 PM

Cycle tank with no gravel?

Is it possible to cycle a tank without any gravel? I have a 2.5 gallon that I'm trying to cycle for guppy fry. Theres a corner filter and a betta currently in it.

tangy 11-08-2007 09:17 PM

Yes u can. I am currently cycling a 55 without gravel as well :D

willow 11-09-2007 09:21 AM

yup agree with Tangy there,
the bacteria you need will be in the filter.
so if you have another tank,and you can change
some media over from that then you will
be almost there. :)

mHeinitz57 11-11-2007 09:27 PM

can you descrive what type of media is in the filter tho? Bacteria will grow on any surface given that there are nutrients and oxygen available so it will grow on your filter. However, some filters only have one removable cartridge such as old whisper filters and topfin filters. The majority of the bacteria will grow on these cartridges and then when you change them you throw the bacteria away. It is possible to maintain a stable bacteria colony with these but there is a certain way to do it. So if you could decribe the filtration in detail we can give you the best method of keeping bacteria in there.

FishAddict99 11-13-2007 05:34 PM

The filter itself is a Penn-Plax Clear-Free Corner filter. The cartridges that go in it are composed of foam/floss, carbon and zeolites. The company recommends that the filter cartridge be changed monthly but I'm wondering if I should wait a few months before doing so since the bacteria will grow on it.

willow 11-14-2007 02:08 AM

hi
if there is more than one foam cartridge then if it is
really chocked up with gunk then change it,i would not
recommend that all cartridges were changed at the same time,
you will loose all the bacteria.

FishAddict99 11-14-2007 09:43 AM

*correction: There is only one cartridge that gets replaced. The foam floss, zeolites and carbon are all together in one cartridge. I wouldn't be able to only change the foam.

willow 11-14-2007 09:51 AM

hi
oh dear,i don't know what to recomend then,sorry,
i very much hope someone else will have better
knowlage to be of assistance to you.
:(

Falina 11-14-2007 11:38 AM

Rinse the cartridge in the tank water to get some of the gunk off of it. Don't let it dry out or rinse it in clean tap water. This should save some of the bacteria if it is too clogged up. If the filter gets too clogged and the water can't flow the bacteria will die anyway so I think it's best to de-clog in in some tank water.