Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Dried Bamboo Decor (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/dried-bamboo-decor-92556/)

guppyromz 02-05-2012 07:42 AM

Dried Bamboo Decor
 
Hey guys! So I found this weird looking bamboo along with its root in my LFS. I got mesmerized by its appearance because it has worm like roots. This bamboo looks dead for a long time and dry in the LFS. I was planning on drilling some holes in it and put an air stone and maybe I can attach some java ferns and moss in it.

- So does bamboo rots when put inside the aquarium? Or is it bad for the aquarium fish?

GwenInNM 02-05-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppyromz (Post 973674)
Hey guys! So I found this weird looking bamboo along with its root in my LFS. I got mesmerized by its appearance because it has worm like roots. This bamboo looks dead for a long time and dry in the LFS. I was planning on drilling some holes in it and put an air stone and maybe I can attach some java ferns and moss in it.

- So does bamboo rots when put inside the aquarium? Or is it bad for the aquarium fish?


People put bamboo in tanks, so it is not likely going to hurt the tank. It could rot over time, so you'll have to keep an eye on that. Don't really know. I have dried cactus (cholla) skeleton in my tank, and it's holding up very well, with no decay. If you get tons of decay, you'll see high nitrates, and you should remove. Probably worth a shot. I'd boil it for 3-4 minutes and let cool before you put it in the tank.

Gwen

guppyromz 02-05-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 973677)

People put bamboo in tanks, so it is not likely going to hurt the tank. It could rot over time, so you'll have to keep an eye on that. Don't really know. I have dried cactus (cholla) skeleton in my tank, and it's holding up very well, with no decay. If you get tons of decay, you'll see high nitrates, and you should remove. Probably worth a shot. I'd boil it for 3-4 minutes and let cool before you put it in the tank.

Gwen

Ohhh.. Its being water-logged right now for 3 days. After it has been water logged maybe I'll do boil it to be sure.

I've read in some articles that bamboo's are coated with some liquid. I dont remember.

I need more oppinions though.

GwenInNM 02-05-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppyromz (Post 973683)
Ohhh.. Its being water-logged right now for 3 days. After it has been water logged maybe I'll do boil it to be sure.

I've read in some articles that bamboo's are coated with some liquid. I dont remember.

I need more oppinions though.


Very smart to see what others say :)

Gwen

guppyromz 02-05-2012 08:51 AM

:lol: I need more opinions because the bamboo looks so great in my aquarium. :lol:

guppyromz 02-06-2012 03:56 AM

I need to clarify things.. The weird looking bamboo is dead and dried for a long time in the LFS. I would like to ask experienced aquarist if it will last long like other woods. I've done some research, its said that "live" bamboo can last underwater but lives only in a few months. So what if its already dead, will it rot underwater?

The bamboo looks something like this i've found in google.

http://ecoterrariumsupply.com/images...ecorations.jpg

shrimpguy10 04-05-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppyromz (Post 973683)
Ohhh.. Its being water-logged right now for 3 days. After it has been water logged maybe I'll do boil it to be sure.

I've read in some articles that bamboo's are coated with some liquid. I dont remember.

I need more oppinions though.


Hi guppy,

Definitely look for 100% ALL Natural bamboo. They leech a little bit of tannins, but won't harm anything. Shrimp and pleco's love them. A guy on aquabid has them cheap w/shipping so even if they rot after a few months, you can get more. I use them to breed shrimp, I just buy a bunch and stack them in all my tanks. Amazing results.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2