Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Help adding plants to my 10gal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/help-adding-plants-my-10gal-92540/)

bigehugedome 02-04-2012 10:38 PM

Help adding plants to my 10gal

Hey guys,

So I feel like doing a project on one of my tanks tomorrow as I'm having a kinda blah weekend and I want to get something productive done. I wanna take a trip to a big fish store about 1.5hrs away because they stock sparkling gourami and I want to add 2 more to my tank as I believe the one is very shy because he is alone. I know they can get bossy but I want to give it a try.

But I really want to go because I wanna to rescape my 10gallon. All of my tanks so far have been "lightly" planted and after looking at a few tanks on the site, I need to add some more plants. Attached is a pic of the current tank. I'm going to take a look at different driftwood and maybe do a complete redo, but at the very least I want to add as many plants as I can.

Currently i only have pygmy chain sword which is spreading pretty nicely in the front and I don't need to change that. Some java fern that has a few bad leaves I need to get rid of. A large anubias which needs to be trimmed (see second pic) and some floating salvinia. I have a 6500K bulb and use seachem flourish.

What I really like to do is have the sides and back of the tank "covered" like a wall, similar to the great aquascapers on the site. I'm just not a good designer and could use advice as to what plants I should get and how they can be positioned, to create a good aquascape. I just want to add alot more green, I think the embers will stand out alot more. I have had issues with stem plants in the past, and I dont like pennywort. Im assuming some vals and swords would work. Any help??

Also, assuming these plants are not big, how many would I need to buy?

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...e/dfa82101.jpg

How do i cut this anubias so I can attach it somewhere else without killing it?

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...e/70244475.jpg

coydog429 02-04-2012 11:06 PM

cutting anubis

When I went ahead and cut my anubis, was grown out kinda like yours, I used an exacto knife and cut in-between every 4th leaf along the rizome. I cut mine on a clean plate with paper towel down to minimize any brusing to the plant. Might make it into about 7 or 8 plants from what I can remember of your post.

beetlebz 02-04-2012 11:12 PM

i believe anubias can be cut anywhere along the rhizome (the horizontal stem with the roots coming off of it) provided there is leaves on both sides.

Its hard to tell how close the wood is to the back of the tank, but im almost thinking I would run some java fern along the back of the wood at the bottom to get the back wall effect. Maybe something like a crypt in one corner as it will get tall enough in time to reach the top and fill in the left side there. maybe replant some of that fresh cut anubias on the front of the wood at the bottom to fill it in more :)

if you dont mind being militant about trimming you can put a sword in there (E. bleheri or something similar) to fill in the back wall, but it needs to be plucked regularly or you will have a basketball in there lol

you could plant some water sprite too, to give it some texture

beetlebz 02-04-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coydog429 (Post 973502)
When I went ahead and cut my anubis, was grown out kinda like yours, I used an exacto knife and cut in-between every 4th leaf along the rizome. I cut mine on a clean plate with paper towel down to minimize any brusing to the plant. Might make it into about 7 or 8 plants from what I can remember of your post.

sharp scissors are the planted aquarists best friend :)

bigehugedome 02-04-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coydog429 (Post 973502)

Sounds good to me, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 973509)
i believe anubias can be cut anywhere along the rhizome (the horizontal stem with the roots coming off of it) provided there is leaves on both sides.

Its hard to tell how close the wood is to the back of the tank, but im almost thinking I would run some java fern along the back of the wood at the bottom to get the back wall effect. Maybe something like a crypt in one corner as it will get tall enough in time to reach the top and fill in the left side there. maybe replant some of that fresh cut anubias on the front of the wood at the bottom to fill it in more :)

if you dont mind being militant about trimming you can put a sword in there (E. bleheri or something similar) to fill in the back wall, but it needs to be plucked regularly or you will have a basketball in there lol

you could plant some water sprite too, to give it some texture

Im actually not a big fan of java fern. just never looks the way I want it too. Im looking for some specific plant names that would work. Im OK with the maintainance as i think the 10 is easy to work with because I want to start heavy planting in all my tanks. So Ill look at that sword name, and I was already thinking some water sprite. Thank you!

beetlebz 02-04-2012 11:43 PM

well, it depends on what you want for a texture.

for a finer textured background plant you could do cabomba or bacopa carolina, but a 10g with stock light might do better with the bacopa. You can plant bunches of hornwart too.

for a coarser texture maybe anacharis or wysteria, but the wysteria needs alot of scissor love.

coarse texture, you have E. Bleheri which is an amazon sword, but I think most of the crypts would look good too.

Byron 02-05-2012 01:24 PM

I concur on cutting the Anubias. I just break mine apart:lol:. I posted a photo in another thread yesterday of my former 33g that was planted solely with Anubias cut up from a 3-foot plant.

Along the back, corkscrew Vallisneria might work if you have medium hard water.

Geomancer 02-05-2012 02:06 PM

Anubias can get 3 feet long? o.O

Learn something everyday =)

Byron 02-05-2012 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 974003)
Anubias can get 3 feet long? o.O

Learn something everyday =)

Yes, if left to grow and it has what it needs, it will just continue to grow (the rhizome lengthens). This occurred in my former 90g which was basically just a bunch of plants. I did water changes periodically, and the light was timed with the other fish tanks. The Anubias was attached to a bit of rock in the back corner, and when I came to pull the tank apart there it was, more than half way across the back the tank. I cut it up, and used it in pieces in the 33g shown below, discarding some of it as I ran out of space.:lol:

bigehugedome 02-05-2012 10:08 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Cutting the anubias was very easy. I now need to figure out where to put it. its floating in another tank for the night.

Anyway I took a trip to the store and spend a little more than I should have. I moved my 5 neonís from my 10 to my 30. My 30 is pretty overstocked I think, I may try to re home them. I added two more sparkling gourami to the 10.The 3 are still very shy, but they do wander out in groups. I think they are the most interesting fish I keep.

I also added 6 Chili rasbora!!!! I wanted some dwarf rasbora since I started the tank and I finally found some locally. They are super duper small right now, and I was very scared they wouldnít make the travel (2hrs) and the new tank. So I took extra care in acclimating them, and Iím hoping they all make it. Its been about 5 hours in the new tank and they started to explore together. They were pretty expensive at $5/piece for such small fish. But they will be worth it I think. I may add more in the future.

I also got some plants and wood. Im not sure if these plants are the right type for my low tech setup with soft water (seeing Byronís post above), but I sure do think It looks good. In the back right I have corkscrew vals. The font is carpeted in pygmy chain swords, narrow leaf ludwigia on the left, and Giant Temple against the back wall. I believe if everything grows well it will be a lot of maintenance, but Iím excited. Oh, and Iím also floating salvania.

Please let me know if I went wrong with the plants, what else I could add, or what you would change aesthetically. All advice welcome. I have some java moss I may attach to the wood.

P.s. cutting through driftwood with a drywall say kinda sucks lol.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...e/a3db36e0.jpg