Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   neon tetra disease question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neon-tetra-disease-question-9254/)

Mirta 11-08-2007 12:14 PM

neon tetra disease question

Can the neon tetra disease be cured? Is it very contagious?

I have one crooked neon who started off with a paler coloring near his dorsal fin. He has developed a crooked body with time and I have isolated him in a quarantine tank. I have used some green stuff called medimor, supposed to be some universal cure for a number of illnesses.

He is getting more and more curved. however, and he cannot swim normally anymore because of this. I remember to have had something similar with my guppies some time ago - a whole batch of them died out.

We are also suggesting that he may be very old and this shape is inflicted by age. I wouldn't want to see my other neons slowly die. I would love to help this one but maybe he is beyond any cure! :cry:

Lupin 11-08-2007 04:35 PM

Re: neon tetra disease question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirta
Can the neon tetra disease be cured? Is it very contagious?

As far as the sources, there is not a single cure despite the claims that there is. Neons are very sensitive to meds as well so even the suggested strong dosage of most meds will only kill the fish instantly. Good move on your part to isolate the fish. It can only be transmitted by cannibalism of the dead fish or direct contact.
Quote:

I have one crooked neon who started off with a paler coloring near his dorsal fin. He has developed a crooked body with time and I have isolated him in a quarantine tank. I have used some green stuff called medimor, supposed to be some universal cure for a number of illnesses.

He is getting more and more curved. however, and he cannot swim normally anymore because of this. I remember to have had something similar with my guppies some time ago - a whole batch of them died out.
Mirta, a couple of questions...Observe the fish at night, did you notice it swimming restlessly in the dark while the rest of its members are "asleep"? Is the pale coloring creamy or white? It can be mistaken as columnaris as well although in the columnaris case, pale patch is rather white.
Quote:

We are also suggesting that he may be very old and this shape is inflicted by age. I wouldn't want to see my other neons slowly die. I would love to help this one but maybe he is beyond any cure! :cry:
How old is he?:?

Mirta 11-10-2007 01:06 AM

Thank you Lupin very much for your advice.

The fish is in the quarantine tank now and he is bent to the extent that his movements are impaired. All he can do is lie there on one side (today in the morning he was floating on the surface, apparently supported by a plant, but later he sank down) and look at me sadly. I haven't noticed him eat.

I do not know how old he is, really. I bought them all in August, but they could be old already then, couldn't they. The rest of the batch seem to be OK. The neons I bought for my other tank were much smaller in size - babies.

His body doesn't have any white markings anymore. What he had about a couple of weeks ago (or even more) looked like discoloration of the upper part of the body - not creamy but not altogether white either. Now the color remains but it is gone from the disfigured part of his body.

I really hate to see him suffer.

Lupin 11-10-2007 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirta
Thank you Lupin very much for your advice.

The fish is in the quarantine tank now and he is bent to the extent that his movements are impaired. All he can do is lie there on one side (today in the morning he was floating on the surface, apparently supported by a plant, but later he sank down) and look at me sadly. I haven't noticed him eat.

I do not know how old he is, really. I bought them all in August, but they could be old already then, couldn't they. The rest of the batch seem to be OK. The neons I bought for my other tank were much smaller in size - babies.

His body doesn't have any white markings anymore. What he had about a couple of weeks ago (or even more) looked like discoloration of the upper part of the body - not creamy but not altogether white either. Now the color remains but it is gone from the disfigured part of his body.

I really hate to see him suffer.

There doesn't seem anything you can do. This doesn't sound like NTD to me but if it's certainly old, I would do euthanasia on it if I were you considering its deformity will severely impair its ability to compete for food and will be constantly harassed by other tankmates if given the opportunity. Sorry about your fish.:blueworry:

Mirta 11-13-2007 01:11 PM

Hello!

This is a pic of my sick neon. The quality is bad, I know, but this is the best I can do so far. The fish is on its side being disfigured and unable to swim. I do not think he can recover, but I come to feed him every day.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...umn2007114.jpg :cry:

Lupin 11-13-2007 05:13 PM

How is he eating so far? I would actually euthanize him instead to end his misery.:shake:

Mirta 11-14-2007 12:27 PM

I do not actually notice him eat. I do agree that he should be euthanized, only I can't bring myself to do it. The stuff which is described here in one thread as a euthanizer (clove oil) is not available here. What else could be mixed with vodka (that I can get) to make the procedure painless for the fish?

Mirta 11-15-2007 01:19 PM

The crooked guy is gone :cry: . Unfortunately, he was unable to make it.

People are telling me that he might have had a trauma which had caused the deformation.

Lupin 11-15-2007 04:47 PM

Sorry to hear that, Mirta.:blueworry:

Falina 11-15-2007 05:55 PM

That's a shame Mirta. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I suppose the only good thing is that if it was trauma, then it's not something that can be passed onto any of the other fish.