Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   silvertip tetra (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/silvertip-tetra-9253/)

Mirta 11-08-2007 12:03 PM

silvertip tetra

We've recently got 5 silvertips together with 14 neons for my daughter's tank. They kept them together in the shop and told me that they are compatible when I asked.

But I have noticed that silvertips, especially one of them can be quite aggressive towards neons and his own mates. Is this bossing behaviour temporal or do we have to save our neons? The neons are just babies there. I've got bigger ones in the other tank. But there I keep them together with angels, and I have bandits - barbs in yet one more tank. So I do not know what to do with the little ones. :?

I have also read that a larger batch of silvertips ensures their more peaceful behaviour. Maybe we should get some more of these pretty rascals?

willow 11-08-2007 12:12 PM

if you have the room then enlarge the group. :)
tetras can be nippy little things at times.

Mirta 11-08-2007 12:15 PM

Thank you! I'll do it, I do have some room there and my daughter doesn't want any larger fish - just tetras. :)

Lupin 11-08-2007 04:37 PM

Re: silvertip tetra

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirta
But I have noticed that silvertips, especially one of them can be quite aggressive towards neons and his own mates. Is this bossing behaviour temporal or do we have to save our neons? The neons are just babies there. I've got bigger ones in the other tank. But there I keep them together with angels, and I have bandits - barbs in yet one more tank. So I do not know what to do with the little ones. :?

I have also read that a larger batch of silvertips ensures their more peaceful behaviour. Maybe we should get some more of these pretty rascals?

Silver tip tetras, like other tetras, establish pecking order and have a potential of being fin nippers but should not be a problem provided the tank has plenty of swimming space and hiding places as Willow said.

Mirta 11-10-2007 12:53 AM

Well, I have enlarged the stock considerably, but these guys are nippers indeed.

However, now they seem to pick on their own species. One of them is already hiding behind the filter, maybe that's a female. Two brighter colored guys attack her as soon as she dares to come out.

The neons are not in the focus of their attention anymore. The tank doesn't have a lot of hiding places, though.

willow 11-10-2007 02:14 AM

hi
could you possibly include more plants,
either fake or real,preferably real,as thay help with different stuff,
on the other hand(and i do not wish to cause alarm in any way)
is there a possibility that this is a sick fish,and they have ousted
it from the group ? if the fish appears well,it could just
be that this fish is the lowest in the pecking group,and
there will not be much that you can do,apart from either
move it to another tank,or take it back to the shop.
sometimes in aggression with fish you can change
the tank decore around and this will help.
keep us informed how you get on if you can.
:)

Mirta 11-10-2007 11:52 AM

Hi! I have just checked on them. There appear to be no more outsiders now. A couple of them have damaged caudal fins.

I will definitely put more hiding places in. I am thinking of a nice piece of bogwood. I already have a coconut shell and a clay jar there but characins are not interested in such things. :)

I think the group is establishing itself and therefore they have some inner conflicts. :wink:

tophat665 11-11-2007 01:39 PM

Feathery plants work best. If you can lay hands on water wisteria, that will grow under just about any lighting and water conditions, and it's the very think for tetras to hide in. Cabomba works too, but that needs more light.

I've got a piece of driftwood in my tetra tank that's totally covered in Java Fern, and my shoal of Glow Lights never comes out of it.