Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Easy Plants to add to 20 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/easy-plants-add-20-gallon-92432/)

EimajElocin 02-03-2012 09:07 PM

Easy Plants to add to 20 gallon?

Hi. I have a 20 gallon long and I'll be putting some bettas in it. I really want java moss because i hear it's easy to care for. Are there any plants that are very easy to care for that I can pop in my tank? I want my tank to be heavily planted due to the bettas I want to add. Any ideas please?

P.S.
My tank doesnt get direct sunlight, but during 12-4 in the day, my room is pretty bright, but my fishtank is along one wall, to the left of the window (sun isnt directly on it)
Theres also a light for my fish tank I randomly turn on.
And it stays heated at 78 F

fishy friend2 02-03-2012 09:11 PM

are you planning on getting a sorority? and what is your lighting, in watts.

Chris7 02-03-2012 09:21 PM

Java Ferns are also easy to care for, I have eight of them and they are doing good.

i

fishy friend2 02-03-2012 09:30 PM

i would recommend low light plants such as.
java fern
water wisteria
anubias nana
anacharis
moneywort
parrots feather
hygrophila polysperma
duckweed

Chris7 02-03-2012 09:57 PM

I did't read the last part of the post I was rushing sorry, but you say you rarely have your aqaurium lights on. If you what to keep live plants you may have to change that and upgrade your lighting depending on what you have?
When I put live plants into my take I did'nt have to upgrade to whole lighting system but did get different bulbs. I went to 2, 13 watt High UVB output Tropical Tetterium Lamps, and keep my lights on for 10 to 12 hours per day.
I have a 25 gallon tank with 8 java ferns some java moss, 2 anubias.

MinaMinaMina 02-03-2012 10:30 PM

EimajElocin, hold on. Let's find out what you have now and see if it will work. Tell us what kind of set up you have- length of bulb, watts*, number of bulbs, K rating (e.g. 6500K)*, and how old the bulbs are. Also, tell us the depth of your tank and water parameters (pH, temp, and hardness). From there, we can let you know what will work with what you already have, or what to upgrade.

One thing is for sure- I definitely recommend getting a timer for your lights. A simple one can cost $3 at whatever superstore (e.g. Walmart extension cord section), or around $10 for a digital one (which is the kind I have, because I have different set times for different days of the week), or even a power strip/surge protector that has a built-in timer function on each outlet (pet store). Its just personal preference. But a timer is pretty much a 'must' for plants!

So let us know, and we can help from there!

*This info is on the packaging, often also printed on the bulb.