Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Home made fish food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/home-made-fish-food-92366/)

ReefTrooper 02-03-2012 07:32 AM

Home made fish food

is this recipe OK?

1 cucumber
1 carrot
5 french beans
1 lettuce leaf
50gms raw chicken meat
1/3 paprika
20 peas
20gms pellets
10gms cichlid sticks
10gms flakes

Mixed and pureed and then dried?

brokenrules69 02-03-2012 01:42 PM

wat fish would this be fed to?

redchigh 02-03-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy 1998 cremer (Post 971600)
is this recipe OK?

1 cucumber
1 carrot
5 french beans
1 lettuce leaf
50gms raw chicken meat
1/3 paprika
20 peas
20gms pellets
10gms cichlid sticks
10gms flakes

Mixed and pureed and then dried?

Leave out the packaged fish food...

I use 1/3 cup of spinach (a handful), 3 shrimp (all with tail on) and 1 clove of garlic. I would forget the lettuce, and cook the carrots to almost done first.. but just add your other ingredients (in smaller amounts) to my recipe, along with another shrimp..chop everything up, place in tupperware container, and microwave for a minute (or until spinach is wilted) Then add to food processor and puree again.

add two packets of plain gelatin dissolved in warm water to the mixture, and mix well. Then freeze in manageable sizes.

There's no way to dry fresh foods... frozen is really the only option. Freezing saves more of the nutrients anyways.

1 carrot and 1 cucumber is way too much... Maybe a small piece of both, and 1-2 green beans, would be good. Also, consider zuchinni instead of cucumber.

ReefTrooper 02-03-2012 08:36 PM

thanks :-) ill be feeding this to rams and discus.i cant get beef heart here.

brokenrules69 02-03-2012 08:53 PM

i would use shrimp instead of chicken
but i have never done anything like this

i would just feel weird giving my fish chicken they would have no contact with in the wild

AbbeysDad 02-04-2012 01:34 PM

I think I'd agree on not using chicken, but instead substitute fresh fish...salmon, haddock, shrimp, tilapia...
Also, no prepared foods and 86 the lettuce and cucumber...fresh spinach, peas and carrots are good.
If to be frozen, I'd see no need for any gelatin.

Now I have to ask....why bother? Why not feed prepared foods made from fresh whole food grade fish and kelp and enriched with vitamins?

redchigh 02-04-2012 01:51 PM

Frozen food should be thawed before feeding. If there's no 'binder', it'll turn to mush and the particles will seperate when it thaws.

Why make homemade food? Well for me, it's cheaper for one thing. And it's kinda fun.

onefish2fish 02-04-2012 04:23 PM

i make saltwater foods and i dont know how much benefit this has to your application but take what you wish from it.
fish roe ( fish eggs ) might be good to add a few to the mix ( only a few they can be very oily )
dried seaweed, fresh seafood, frozen seafoods are found at an asain supermarket, which im sure you could also find the fish eggs. i usually add a few drops of selcon and garlic at the end. freeze it in a ziplock bag laying flat when when you want to use it you can break a small chip off. if you want to take this farther you can put a piece of eggcrate ( sold as light defuser in hardware stores lighting department ) on a cookie sheet, spread your food on the eggcrate and freeze, remove and pop your squares then ziplock and re-freeze squares.
again this is what i do on my saltwater tanks and that may not have helped but take what you wish. i also pre-rinse all frozen foods a few times prior to use until the discard water appears clear.