Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Power head casing problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/power-head-casing-problem-92358/)

nicolaas 02-03-2012 03:17 AM

Power head casing problem
 
2 Attachment(s)
The rubber bands on the power head have worn out,so instead of taking water throe the filter it's leaking in from the sides.So I took the PH (=power head) out , so I made a hole in the spong and put the PH in the spong. Is this going to work as a filter? Here is some pics.

brokenrules69 02-03-2012 05:15 AM

a little bit confused about what you are saying but the sponge really doesnt do anything filter wise
only really as a particulate filter to not allow the impeller in the power head to jam up

if u added a ph altering foam filter it should alter the ph if thats what ur going for

nicolaas 02-03-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenrules69 (Post 971568)
a little bit confused about what you are saying but the sponge really doesnt do anything filter wise
only really as a particulate filter to not allow the impeller in the power head to jam up

if u added a ph altering foam filter it should alter the ph if thats what ur going for

Now sorry I mend PH as power head:lol:
Well you don't think it would filter well if I under stand right.

beetlebz 02-03-2012 12:13 PM

Im assuming by rubber bands you mean gaskets. Broken rules is right, it will only act as a coarse particulate filter. If that arrangement works for you then by all means, use what works for you!

I would check with the manufacturer of the powerhead to see if someone sells replacement parts, though. Might be easier :)

nicolaas 02-03-2012 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 971729)
Im assuming by rubber bands you mean gaskets. Broken rules is right, it will only act as a coarse particulate filter. If that arrangement works for you then by all means, use what works for you!

I would check with the manufacturer of the powerhead to see if someone sells replacement parts, though. Might be easier :)

This is a pic of the rubber bands:-D

brokenrules69 02-03-2012 01:31 PM

those are O-rings u can buy them almost anywhere home depot and places like that u can take them out and bring them in to ur local hard ware store and they will be able to give u new ones but i dont think having them not work properly really effects the amount of "filtering"
because power heads are usually only used to add flow to ur tank
to recreate nature weather it is the ocean or rivers they all have flow

nicolaas 02-03-2012 01:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenrules69 (Post 971797)
those are O-rings u can buy them almost anywhere home depot and places like that u can take them out and bring them in to ur local hard ware store and they will be able to give u new ones but i dont think having them not work properly really effects the amount of "filtering"
because power heads are usually only used to add flow to ur tank
to recreate nature weather it is the ocean or rivers they all have flow

OK THANKS BROKENRULES. The PH is from a internal power filter. See the plastic that forms the body of the filter has worn down the rubber.see pics
1pic this is the body.


2-3pics this is the place the power head is held.

brokenrules69 02-03-2012 01:57 PM

ok then i would change the o rings if they are damaged but in the pic they seemed to be new
if there are any tears or visible wearing in them it could pay to replace them to make sure all the flow is going threw the media
they are fairly cheap

nicolaas 02-03-2012 02:18 PM

See it is a ceep filter got it with a starter kit. I 'll see if I can find them,the shops here are pathetik(no idea how it is spelled ) I'll try. maybe I'll take the 2ed ring and swap it with the bottom one.thanks allot.It is 9:20 pm so good night or good day.

brokenrules69 02-03-2012 02:35 PM

if u can find some teflon tape i would wrapp that around like twice and it would work fine

1/2 in. x 260 in. PTFE Tape-017850 at The Home Depot

and its cheap if u can find that easier


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2