Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Experience with GBR's please weigh in (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/experience-gbrs-please-weigh-92338/)

GwenInNM 02-02-2012 09:19 PM

Experience with GBR's please weigh in

My female GBR will die soon. I probably should euthanize her, but I don't have the heart. I've done what I can to treat her, but beginning to think she is just a weak fish, as she never really did grow in the time I had her, even though she ate.

So, here's my dilemma. I have a male now, with no female. He had spawned twice with my female. I'd like to get another female, but I'm hearing that if they don't "pick" them it won't work out. Ideas on this? Should I just return the male and let him pair up with a female, and get a new home, and hope it's a good one?

I hate to do that, but I need to decide what is a best decision. If I did that, I'd give up on getting any more GBR's. They are so expensive here, and I won't get any money for the one I give the petstore, and to buy 2 more will cost me another $50.

Any input appreciated!

Gwen

lorax84 02-02-2012 10:49 PM

Why do you think she will die soon? It is possible to buy a female and try to get it to bond with your male, but its kinda a craps shoot. I probably would just take the male back and get a new pair, but my pair cost me $15 not $50. You may want to look at aquabid. You can probably buy a pair in auction that are much more hardy for $50 or less shipped.

1077 02-03-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 971308)
My female GBR will die soon. I probably should euthanize her, but I don't have the heart. I've done what I can to treat her, but beginning to think she is just a weak fish, as she never really did grow in the time I had her, even though she ate.

So, here's my dilemma. I have a male now, with no female. He had spawned twice with my female. I'd like to get another female, but I'm hearing that if they don't "pick" them it won't work out. Ideas on this? Should I just return the male and let him pair up with a female, and get a new home, and hope it's a good one?

I hate to do that, but I need to decide what is a best decision. If I did that, I'd give up on getting any more GBR's. They are so expensive here, and I won't get any money for the one I give the petstore, and to buy 2 more will cost me another $50.

Any input appreciated!

Gwen

These are difficult fish to keep healthy in my opinion, even with best of care.
I lost several Before finally getting a pair to live more than a few week's,month's,and then Ice storm knocked out power for a week and I lost nearly all fish from several tank's.(Ram's were nearly two year's old).
I might just keep the male and purchase another couple females when finances permit.
He'll be fine by himself, but may become more inclined to pester other fishes with no females to pose for.

GwenInNM 02-03-2012 06:42 AM

thanks

Well, even if I bought on Aquabid, I have to put those fish through shipping, which I don't want to do, to likely end up with a pair that isn't mated. I'm about ready here to euthanize my female. Can't believe she's still alive. Sad. Her body is bent, and she's been floating at the top (sideways) for at least a day.

I only have 8 Cardinals in with the male. If I got 2 females, I'm afraid he would beat the other one up that he doesn't "choose". The tank is only 30 gal.

Thanks for your input on this. Some things to consider

Gwen

lorax84 02-03-2012 02:04 PM

It sound to me like the store you bought them from is sourcing their rams out of one of the asian wholesalers. These fish tend to have extremely poor genetics because mutations are often allowed to breed, further diluting the gene pool. At $50 I think I would just look into a different type of dwarf cichlid. There are some apistogramma that are vary beautiful, although they may be just as expensive in your area.

Byron 02-03-2012 04:01 PM

I concur with all that's been said.:fish:

beetlebz 02-04-2012 10:49 PM

i gave up on GBRs some time ago. even my cory tank which has softish water thats pristine (and planted). i gave up and got Jackson, a male bolivian ram. He is just awesome! Full grown, they are fairly easy to sex, and seem to be quite a bit hardier, and hes definitely got the cichlid personality. Gets along great with a bunch of cories, ABNP, and a female betta :)

GwenInNM 02-05-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 973479)
i gave up on GBRs some time ago. even my cory tank which has softish water thats pristine (and planted). i gave up and got Jackson, a male bolivian ram. He is just awesome! Full grown, they are fairly easy to sex, and seem to be quite a bit hardier, and hes definitely got the cichlid personality. Gets along great with a bunch of cories, ABNP, and a female betta :)

I have a male Bolivian Ram too, in another tank. I do like him. I may not give up on them yet, but if I get another female, and something happens to either of them (within say a year), that may be my last attempt.

I noticed something, I never thought much about. My female used to take a long time to eat a small amount, and would spit food out. I saw my male spit food out last night, and decided to treat the whole tank, because yesterday I had a dead Cardinal tetra.

The male is showing no distress from the meds, which is good. He still has great color. Perhaps the female did have parasites? I'm assuming it could now infect the entire tank, so I'm going with treatment of the whole tank.

I'll see what happens. I could change over to other South American chiclids and still keep my Cardinals, but others (name begins with an "A", apistagramy?):oops: aren't less money and I read you need a group of 2-3 females to one male, so that is even more to spend. :-?

Gwen

beetlebz 02-05-2012 10:50 AM

Apistogramma ;)

youre losing a GBR and youve lost a cardinal. They are both very soft water fish. Have you checked your GH and KH? whats your ph?

GwenInNM 02-05-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 973821)
Apistogramma ;)

youre losing a GBR and youve lost a cardinal. They are both very soft water fish. Have you checked your GH and KH? whats your ph?

Thanks for spelling that for me! My ph is 6.3 I've never tested the GH/KH, because I purchase water than is RO water. I don't think my water is the problem. I'm starting to think I may have fish infected with a parasite. Currently treating for that. My male was acting strange last night, frantically going up/down near glass. Water parameters were fine. Interestingly, today he's fine, but I've got meds in the water. I don't know if he would swim like that because he missed his mate? Not taking chances. Want to treat before he shows signs of illness, because if the female had parasites, I think I caught it too late.

Gwen