Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Help; Angelfish not eating. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/help-angelfish-not-eating-9232/)

omordn 11-07-2007 10:33 AM

Help; Angelfish not eating.

Hi everyone,

I just put some fish in my 28 gallong tank this weekend and I have been noticing that my angelfish is not eating. This is what my tank contains:

28 gallons
pH about 7.5
Nitrate about 5.0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
1 Angelfish
2 Sunburst? Platy's
1 Yellow? Platy
1 Gourami
1 Red Eye Tetra
2 Albino Plecos?
With 2 live plants that I still need to get their names
Temperature between 80-82 F degrees

All of my fish are currently active, even the angelfish, the one that is not eating. I am feeding them the tetra color ruby flakes. I would really appreciate the help. I am worried about my angelfish because it hasn't eaten since it's been in my tank.

Thank You.

Falina 11-07-2007 10:43 AM

How long have you had the angel? Sometimes it can take a few days for them to settle in and begin eating.

Is it possible that the tetra, or the gourami are hassling the angel and maybe nipping its fins. This couls stress the fish out and cause it to stop eating.

Most tetras, the red eye being one of them, are known to be fin nippers and are more prone to this when they are not kept in numbers. If you increased the number of tetras to 6 or so, they would possibly reduce the nipping, if this is a problem. Just watch your stocking. :)

omordn 11-07-2007 11:20 AM

Hi Falina,

Thank you for response. Regarding the tetra, I am aware that they do best in groups and I am waiting for the right opportunity for me to add in some more so that the little one won't be too lonely. As far as nipping at the fins, yes... the first day I placed the fish in my tank... I did notice it harassing my silver angelfish (may I add that it died on me yesterday). But the tetra has stopped harassing the angelfish after the first day. It has been minding its own business if I should put it that way. Lol.

Anyways, I am aware on how sensitive the angelfish are. Perhaps it is still stressed out? I am not sure. I introduced my fish to the tank I believe 4 days ago. The first two days... you can tell all the fish were stressed out but now, they are being really active. As far as the angelfish, it is curious and swimming, etc. It is just not eating.

Oh, before I forget, do I really need to have 6 or more tetras? I was thinking of adding two more and have a group of three. If this isn't the right approach please let me know.

Thank You.

Falina 11-07-2007 11:27 AM

Aother 2 or 3 would certainly be better than the one on it's own but I really believe that a group of 6 is really the minimum number to keep agression to a minimum.

I think that perhaps your angel is feeling some stress fro the tetra.

Also, I noticed your ph is quite high. This in itself isn't really a problem. It would be a problem only if the lfs water had a considerably lower ph and the fish was not acclimatised properly. How did you acclimatise the fish? Angels as a rule prefer softer waters however, when acclimatised properly they should be able to do well enough in the level of ph that you have. If however, down the line you feel that you would like to lower the ph a bit to suit the angel, add some driftwood to the tank which will gradually and naturally lower the ph a few notches. Avoid ph changing chemicals at all costs!

omordn 11-07-2007 11:36 AM

Ah, so driftwood will lower your pH? How about some lava rock? I forgot to mention that I currently have two lava rocks in my tank. If i can't get any driftwood... what else do you recommend me to lower my pH?

Falina 11-07-2007 01:07 PM

Driftwood and bogwood will both lower the ph a little if you decide this would be necessary or desired. They should be easy enough to find as they are readily abvailable in pet sotres and fish stores. Filtering over peat moss will also do it but I think the use of drift/bog wood would be much easier.

Remember though, maintaining a stable ph is much more important than having your ph at a specific value. The ph of your tank is not necessarily the problem. The vast majority of fish are quite adaptable if acclimatised properly.

If you do get some wood, soak it for a few days - a few weeks before you put it in the tank and give it a good wash to remove any "nasties". The way it lowers the ph is by releasing tannic acids. In the early stages of putting it in water it will make your water a yellowish colour but this is nothing to worry about. It's not harmful. It will go away in time with partial water changes and with the tannins being released.

I don't think lava rock will alter the ph. Perhapos somebody else will be able to confirm?

You didn't mention how you acclimatised the angel. It could simply be a case of not being properly acclimatised and so it was put under more stress.

beetlebz 11-07-2007 02:38 PM

i just want to add that my rainbow shark, Dog, in my 110 gal has been with me for what, a month or better now. i have NEVER seen him eat! im sure he picks at the wafers after lights out, and from time to time i see him nibbling at the gravel in spots now that he is used to me. just a thought, might want to sneak up after lights out some night and see.

omordn 11-07-2007 02:44 PM

Hi Falina,

If I can get this right, the part of acclimatizing the Angel, this is what I did when I first got my fish from my LFS:

I placed the bag they were in on the aquarium and let it float on there for 15 minutes.

After the 15 minutes were up I carefully gathered all the fish in the bag and placed them in the tank. I did not put the water that the fish came with in the tank incase you are curious.

Once this process was finished, I just sat and carefully analyzed the fish to try to see if anything was wrong, etc.

Thanks.

Falina 11-07-2007 03:21 PM

To acclimatise a fish it's best to float he bag like you have done, but also to open up the bag and slowly add some of your tank water to the bag. This can be done via a dripmethod which I have not used, but easier yet but adding half a cup of water to the bag every 15 minutes or so, until there is more of the tank water in the bag than there is lfs water. Then you can net the fish and place him in the tank. This allows the fish to adjust to any differences i water parameters, as well as temperature.

HTH :)

Lupin 11-07-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omordn
Ah, so driftwood will lower your pH?

So will an unlimited supply of Indian almond leaves.
Quote:

How about some lava rock? I forgot to mention that I currently have two lava rocks in my tank.
I won't recommend them. Their sharp edges can injure the fish. No, they should not alter the pH as far as I know.