Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Mondo grass (Ophiopogon japonicus) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/mondo-grass-ophiopogon-japonicus-92208/)

Ami 02-01-2012 09:35 AM

Mondo grass (Ophiopogon japonicus)

Hi folks !
I saw that they're selling Mondo grass in the local Petsmart store. I was wondering if this is a plant I can use for my aquarium. There are dealers online that sell it for gardens, and others sell it for ponds / aquariums....so I'm somewhat confused.

Thanks,
Ami

MinaMinaMina 02-01-2012 11:22 AM

This plant is not fully aquatic and will slowly die when kept submerged. Sorry, but its not a good choice. :-(

Ami 02-01-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina (Post 969834)
This plant is not fully aquatic and will slowly die when kept submerged. Sorry, but its not a good choice. :-(

Thanks...that's all I need to know from buying it :-)

onemanswarm 02-01-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ami (Post 969843)
Thanks...that's all I need to know from buying it :-)

Sadly, I received the same advice post-purchase. Mine is hanging in there for the time being, but since finding out it's doomed I've had a hard time bonding with it. In a different thread, Mina recommended Italian Val as a good substitute. I will pass that info along in case you're looking for a true aquatic plant with similar aesthetic qualities.

Ami 02-01-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onemanswarm (Post 970028)
Sadly, I received the same advice post-purchase. Mine is hanging in there for the time being, but since finding out it's doomed I've had a hard time bonding with it. In a different thread, Mina recommended Italian Val as a good substitute. I will pass that info along in case you're looking for a true aquatic plant with similar aesthetic qualities.

Thanks ! I'll look for Italian Val.

redchigh 02-02-2012 09:24 PM

Vall gets huge.. I'd go with dwarf sag if you want something smaller.

onemanswarm 02-02-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 971315)
Vall gets huge.. I'd go with dwarf sag if you want something smaller.

Anything in between? I like the Mondo grass because its height hides filter/heater. When it inevitably passes, I'd like to find a replacement to fill the same role. Is the vall too tall to consider in a smaller tank?

MinaMinaMina 02-02-2012 11:11 PM

They don't always get that big. The variety I'm to which I'm referring (thin leaves, bright green, not twisted) averages 12"-24". More height can be achieved by closer planting, and the reverse is true. Also, I do not run high light or CO2, so that may changes things in my situation. But I think the majority of the confusion comes from the several varieties and hybrids, and the disagreements on nomenclature. My Vallisneria Spirals (not forma tortafolia), "Straight Val", "Italian Val", or whatever name/hybrid it is, grows like a weed under 2 T8 lamps, sending off runners like a track coach, but doesn't ever hit the top of my 21" deep tank. I've also grown Vallisneria americana (longer, wider, darker leaves). I have no experience with Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis, Vallisneria spiralis forma tortafolia, Vallisneria nana,Vallisneria americana "mini twister", Vallisneria spiralis "Tiger", and others.

So maybe we're thinking of different types of Val? I don't know, all the different types and names makes my head swim. :-)

onemanswarm 02-03-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina (Post 971431)
They don't always get that big. The variety I'm to which I'm referring (thin leaves, bright green, not twisted) averages 12"-24". More height can be achieved by closer planting, and the reverse is true. Also, I do not run high light or CO2, so that may changes things in my situation. But I think the majority of the confusion comes from the several varieties and hybrids, and the disagreements on nomenclature. My Vallisneria Spirals (not forma tortafolia), "Straight Val", "Italian Val", or whatever name/hybrid it is, grows like a weed under 2 T8 lamps, sending off runners like a track coach, but doesn't ever hit the top of my 21" deep tank. I've also grown Vallisneria americana (longer, wider, darker leaves). I have no experience with Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis, Vallisneria spiralis forma tortafolia, Vallisneria nana,Vallisneria americana "mini twister", Vallisneria spiralis "Tiger", and others.

So maybe we're thinking of different types of Val? I don't know, all the different types and names makes my head swim. :-)

Nice metaphor! You're not kidding about the different types of Val causing confusion. When it comes to this plant, I think maybe I should steer clear like a NASCAR driver spotting a yellow flag because your description made my head swim like a shoal of endlers escaping a net attempt.