Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Betta issue (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/betta-issue-92177/)

irving216 01-31-2012 10:59 PM

Betta issue

So my tanks are doing perfect. Everything as far as those is fine and perfectly dandy. But I went out and bought a new male Betta. He looked perfect at the lfs. Who's had come highly recommended by everyone in my area. (hilltop aquarium in Torrington ct for anyone in the area) she's a little old lady who's been in business for over forty years. Has the healthiest fish Iv seen in a store. I bought this Betta from her, which she actually recommended to me. I put him into my tank that night and all seemed fine, fed him some blood worms and he gobbled them all up. Spit a few back up though :/ welt te next day, he didn't really look too good, spends most his time at the top of the tank secluded or at the bottom of the tank doing nothing. I looked dt him closer after taking him out and putting him in a jar just incasw something Is indeed wrong, his tail looks almost like it has some kind of a fungus or rot or soemthing on it, and near his gills kind of have a blacker look to them. I'm really worried as I do like him and the fact that he was actually in my tank... I'll post pix tomorrow or if I get some replys tonight I might get out of bed and take a few for y'all.
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 01-31-2012 11:59 PM

Few questions: What else is in your tank? Did you quarantine the betta (even healthy looking fish can be sick)? What did the other fish in the tank look like?

The white on his fins sound like fin rot which is very common with new bettas. This is easily treatable. Pictures would be nice to clarify what you mean about the black around his gills.

You may or may not know that we have a betta subforum complete with a section for betta diseases found here.

irving216 02-01-2012 09:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
heres the pix, its hard to see the fin bit, as its as though its just starting. but over night the black spotches have turned to white, not ich kind of spots but big spotches, i looked, and its even underneath his head also.
as far as othher fish in the tank, none of them were effected, i actually had him in a little breeding holder thing so that i could see how things would be between him and the female betta i got, also to see what my serpae tetra would do with him, as i suspect that he had a hand in the demise of my last betta. but like i said, he did perfectly fine the first night, i didnt notice any splotchs on him, no fin issues, nothing. everything started the second day.
he did not open his fins up at all near the female...

irving216 02-01-2012 09:26 AM

as far as the rest of my fish, they all seem fine. only thing i can see wrong with any of them, is that my female betta that i perchased the same time as my male, shes yellow and seems to have a slight blackness to a few of her body scales but she acts perfectly normal, ill post pix of her in a few.
fish list: 55 gallon planted
2 clown pleco
2 weather loach
3 albino cory
1 otto cat
1 neon tetra
1 serpae tetra
5 or 6 guppies
1 red tailed shark
1 female betta
i have my 15 gallon that i would relocate the betta to if there was a issue with the red tail or tetras, as i have in the past had issues, and then also had no issues, i feel like as big as a tank that this is, there shouldnt be too much issue between them all.

irving216 02-01-2012 10:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
and heres the female.

MinaMinaMina 02-01-2012 10:46 AM

Aside from your male betta's health issues (I'll let someone else handle that), you have some problems just waiting to happen. I want to let you know so you can avoid them now, before they start.

A single serpae tetra is going to harrass your betta to death (and possibly other fish, too!). These fish are known to be aggressive and fin biters, even when kept in the proper sized shoal (9 or more). With your serpae being alone, he is going to be even more aggressive, especially with a slow-moving, long finned fish like a betta. This is a disaster waiting to happen! I'm positive that he killed your other betta. He's probably already stressing your guppies, maybe others. The best solution to this is to rehome him or take him back to the store. (I don't see where you have room to enlarge his shoal to 9 or more serpae tetras, and still that may not take care of the problem.)

(Your lone neon tetra and lone otocinclus are also suffering without a properly sized shoals of their own kind.)

The Red Tailed Shark is or is going to be quite aggressive, more and more as time goes on. He may act this way toward any fish, but especially the other bottom dwelling fish. Also, please be aware that even if you can't see aggression, it can still very well be present. And the hormones released by aggressive fish remain in the water and continue to stress out victim fish even if there is no active aggression at that moment.

Please don't mix male and female bettas in the same tank. They should only be together for brief periods solely for the purpose of spawning, and only after having been well conditioned and thoroughly prepared.

I hope your male betta is feeling better soon! Good luck!

irving216 02-01-2012 11:00 AM

Thank you, I haven't gotten another Otto yet because te store I prefer to buy them from is waiting on the order. I didn't know I should have more then one until after I
Got him. The tetras, god honest, I am going to be bringing ten back, Im not too sure why I got them. And that defiantly sucks about the shark :/ I really liked him. But I guess bringing him back will better my tank. If the male
And female are in a 55 though, can't they just pretty much stay to there own little bits of territory? I mean I definitely had anticipated mating them, but I figured they'd be alright when theyre not mating.
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 02-01-2012 01:43 PM

What it sounds like you are describing with the male betta is fin rot probably caused by damage from the serapae tetra. If you remove the male and place him in his own separate (but heated; this is important) aquarium you can treat it with aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Continue the treatment until you see signs of fin regrowth (clear edges on fin), but don't continue it longer than 10 days. If it still isn't healing after that, then take it over to the betta health forum because my experience with fin rot ends there.

I agree with Mina, you should not house the male and female together even if you are going to breed them on down the line. Which isn't as easy as plopping them in there and letting nature take its course. I would put the male in the 15 gal tank and leave the female with the others as females are much less aggressive than males.

irving216 02-01-2012 05:27 PM

The serpae wasn't able to get at the Etta though, I left him in the breeder thing, it just holds him with big enough space for him to swim around a little bit. Could you look at the pix as I'm more worried about his behavior and the splotches on his face
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 02-01-2012 06:20 PM

I think it would be best to take the pictures over to the betta disease forum: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...s-emergencies/ I can't really tell anything from those pictures. To me it looks like color changes, but I'm very inexperienced when it comes to diseases.

If he is in his own separate container you can begin treating him for fin rot.