Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Glass aquarium has scratches but the tint has me worried (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/glass-aquarium-has-scratches-but-tint-92120/)

robsworld78 01-31-2012 01:44 PM

Glass aquarium has scratches but the tint has me worried

Hi, my friend recently got a 187g glass tank which when we viewed it we thought it was a beauty. Couldn't see any scratches so we thought it was a great deal. Got it to his house and filled it with water and it still looked ok but then we put the lights on and oh ooooo, it was not that beautiful after all. There are lots of fine surface scratches all over the tank.

I'm not worried about trying to buff the scratches out and I'm sure they will come out cause its impossible to feel them so they are super fine.

What concerns me is the tint on the glass and leads me to my question.

If I get the Cerium oxide (jeweler's paste) and buff them out will I buff out the tint with it?

Is the tint in the glass or on the glass? I'm pretty worried if we buff the tint will go too?

Does anyone have experience with this? I've read lots on it and many have good results however no one says if it was tinted or not.

Thanks

zof 01-31-2012 08:38 PM

Tint? I've never really heard of a tank with tint on it, as it kind of kills the point of getting the most clear and perfect view of your fish. You sure the glass is just not stained? If so enough elbow grease and vinegar should pull it off. Maybe someone else has heard of actually using tint on a tank, but if it was me and it was their then I would try like hell to pull it off as this is probably where a lot of scratches are.

bigfish93 01-31-2012 08:59 PM

Tint? Like window tint? I have never heard of doing that. The only reason I can think of for doing that would be to reduce the amount of light from the room that gets into the tank. As zof mentioned, most of the scratches are probably on the tint.

Tazman 01-31-2012 09:00 PM

I know when I look at my glass from side on...it has a slight green tint to it. It is slightly green side on, looking front on it is perfectly clear.

Is this what you mean? I am not really sure we understand what you mean by tint...can you post a picture that might explain it a little better?

Is it a custom tank or store bought standard ?

robsworld78 01-31-2012 11:40 PM

I thought everyone would know what I mean by tint. When the tank is empty it has a slight brown look to it, like a light pair of sunglasses but when full of water it looks like an ocean green, very nice look to it. I have a 55g which is clear but his water looks like its ocean water, its a nice look and I'm worried it would come off with buffing.

The tank is custom built about 7 years ago and is called reef ready. I'm unsure if the color is because of a window tint or if the glass is actually colored. The scratches don't look like a film is scratched but its hard to tell. Sorry no pictures.