Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Small cichlid setup :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/small-cichlid-setup-91982/)

bubbles1 01-29-2012 04:43 PM

Small cichlid setup :)

Okay so I have 55 gallon and I was wondering if a small cichlid setup is possible . I have looked up a few cichlids and can anyone help me form a stock for my tank? I'm just looking towards smaller and semi peaceful cichlids.

Ok so I was wondering something like this .

Pair of jewel cichlids
Pair of kribs
Pair of laetacara curviceps
Pair of apistogamma, aggaszi or cacatioudes
Trio of angels
Some type of schooling fish
I'm not very expierienced with stocking, so can anyone help me with my stock?

And how so should I decorate this tank? Just so I can do so before hand :) thanks for all help!!

Bubbles

Philnominal 01-30-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 967133)
Okay so I have 55 gallon and I was wondering if a small cichlid setup is possible . I have looked up a few cichlids and can anyone help me form a stock for my tank? I'm just looking towards smaller and semi peaceful cichlids.

Ok so I was wondering something like this .

Pair of jewel cichlids
Pair of kribs
Pair of laetacara curviceps
Pair of apistogamma, aggaszi or cacatioudes
Trio of angels
Some type of schooling fish
I'm not very expierienced with stocking, so can anyone help me with my stock?

And how so should I decorate this tank? Just so I can do so before hand :) thanks for all help!!

Bubbles

Jewel cichlids are far from semi aggressive. From what i have heard 80-90% of them are down right terrors. Pretty fish, but need things that can handle their own for tank mates.

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 01-30-2012 03:07 PM

Agree with Philnominal. Red jewels are extremely territory and they would Not do well with peaceful dwarf cichlids like the apistogrammas, kribs, and curviceps. I would either avoid the angels or do a group 5-7 along with 1 pair of the dwarf cichlids. I would also not go with kribs, they could possibly work but since they are from Africa they prefer different water from the South American Angels. An ideal stocking list to me would be the following...

5-7 Angel fish
A trio or pair of either apistos or curviceps.
6-10 Lemon Tetras (or anther slightly bigger tetra)
1 Bristle-nose pleco

beetlebz 02-04-2012 11:00 PM

if im not mistaken, kribs also come from relatively softish water as well as semi-brackish water, and are tolerant of water conditions, provided they are consistent. not every fish from africa is a rift lake fish :) I have an african jewel in my severum tank and it does well. Provided the severums dont get to close to his log ;)

oh and I almost forgot, I had a krib with my old severums... did great till i killed him :|