Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Freshwater Clams!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/freshwater-clams-91955/)

PonyMan 01-29-2012 12:32 PM

Freshwater Clams!!

Anyone keeping freshwater clams in their tanks? Any real benefits from keeping them?

Steve

GwenInNM 01-29-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonyMan (Post 966852)
Anyone keeping freshwater clams in their tanks? Any real benefits from keeping them?

Steve

I've only seen freshwater clams at my LFS, and they are listed as "not for sale" :(

Gwen

Stoke88 01-29-2012 01:16 PM

I've also wondered if they have any benefit. My LFS has one in a tank also listed not for sale but he tells me he can order me some if I'd like. I think it might be kind of neat to have one. Still haven't gotten one though.

djrodan 01-31-2012 12:17 PM

I considered getting clams too. I did research and from what I've read they are apparently hard to keep alive. They do such a good job at filtering the water that most keepers lose them unless they supplement with a filter feeder food, which I haven't researched because I decided to not get them at that point.

Also unless you have sand substrate I can imagine they'd be pretty unhappy since they burrow (from what I read). Theyre natural environment is probably even finer, like mud.
This is from what I've read, so hopefully someone can prove me wrong!
Posted via Mobile Device

Maxillius 01-31-2012 11:21 PM

from what I read fresh water clams reproduce by realsing some kind of parasite in the water that then attach it self to the gills of your fish and grow out of your fishes blood and when mature drops at the bottom of the tank
still I read that its very unlikely for you to reproduce them in aquaria
just reading it I wouldent take a chance hehe some kinds of clam will kill the fish they are growing on!

thekoimaiden 01-31-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 969457)
from what I read fresh water clams reproduce by realsing some kind of parasite in the water that then attach it self to the gills of your fish and grow out of your fishes blood and when mature drops at the bottom of the tank
still I read that its very unlikely for you to reproduce them in aquaria
just reading it I wouldent take a chance hehe some kinds of clam will kill the fish they are growing on!

Actually this isn't all freshwater clams. You are specifically talking about mussels from the families Unionidae and Margaritiferidae that reproduce using a glochidia. In fact some mussels are so specific the glochidia will only attach to one species of fish. Here and here have more info on North American freshwater mussels. Many of these animals are federally and state endangered and illegal to have in home aquaria.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/awcc/mussel-life-cycle.gif

What is commonly seen is the invasive Asian clam Corbicula. They do not reproduce with a glochidia and will not harm fish species. The male releases sperm which the female intakes. The eggs are fertilized internally, and the female holds them in her gills until the embryos develop into miniature clams. She then expels them. I have Corbicula in my aquaria yet I have never seen them reproduce. I added them a few years ago to control a reoccurring suspended algae outbreak. And if you're wondering how I know about this, I briefly studied them in an aquatic entomology course I took in college.

nicolaas 02-01-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonyMan (Post 966852)

Steve

I had one in a pond, for about 4 months,then our dogs eat him:cry: I got him from a dam were I found him on land, so I took him home.

djrodan 02-01-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 969482)
I briefly studied them in an aquatic entomology course I took in college.

Wow that's awesome! Are these little white beads on the gills? I work at a fish market (gasp!) and I've seen little white beads on the gills of some striped bass, or are these a different parasite?

thekoimaiden 02-01-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrodan (Post 969709)
Wow that's awesome! Are these little white beads on the gills? I work at a fish market (gasp!) and I've seen little white beads on the gills of some striped bass, or are these a different parasite?

Do you know where the stripers are harvested? It's unlikely that what you saw was glochidia cysts because stripers travel between fresh and salt water. These mussels are strictly freshwater. So if the glochidia were to drop off in salt water it would certainly die. Over millennium these mussels have developed a very tight relationship with specific fish. Stripers escaped this relationship by being anadromous.

djrodan 02-01-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 969881)
Do you know where the stripers are harvested? It's unlikely that what you saw was glochidia cysts because stripers travel between fresh and salt water. These mussels are strictly freshwater. So if the glochidia were to drop off in salt water it would certainly die. Over millennium these mussels have developed a very tight relationship with specific fish. Stripers escaped this relationship by being anadromous.

Yea, unlikely then. We get stripers from all over the east coast, I think around that time it was delaware. But I noticed these white egg looking bits in the gills of one. Must have been a parasite or something.