Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   New Saltwater tank setup ?s (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/new-saltwater-tank-setup-s-91908/)

Brandonl87 01-28-2012 10:46 PM

New Saltwater tank setup ?s

Hey guys my names Brandon. Im currently getting things for my tank im going to set up. Now i have went over tons of threads on the forum :roll:. its a 20gal tank. im going to go with live sand and rock and the sand bed being close to 5-6inches for filteration purposes. And here lies the question that i currently have. For one i want to use a protein skimmer. Now Ive found a few different one what do yall think? Taam Nano Skimmer is one and the other is Biocube protein skimmer. My thought on it is itsa only a 20gal tank so no need for 100+ dollar skimmer right? also for powerheads any suggestions? thanks guys. BTW for live stock going to be maybe a clown fish and some CUC's and possibly one other fish.

Reefing Madness 01-28-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonl87 (Post 966337)
Hey guys my names Brandon. Im currently getting things for my tank im going to set up. Now i have went over tons of threads on the forum :roll:. its a 20gal tank. im going to go with live sand and rock and the sand bed being close to 5-6inches for filteration purposes. And here lies the question that i currently have. For one i want to use a protein skimmer. Now Ive found a few different one what do yall think? Taam Nano Skimmer is one and the other is Biocube protein skimmer. My thought on it is itsa only a 20gal tank so no need for 100+ dollar skimmer right? also for powerheads any suggestions? thanks guys. BTW for live stock going to be maybe a clown fish and some CUC's and possibly one other fish.

I like Hydor Koralia or Knock offs Powerheads. You'll want a minimum of 200gph for a FOWLR, and it goes up from there.
$100 Skimmer would get you the very best for your size skimmer, and form my experience, that is the only thing on the tank you do not want to skimp on.
Nano Skimmer - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review
Also, some info for you on the DSB you plan on keeping. Nice choice, but be careful with it.
Ron Shimek's Website...Deep Sand Beds

Brandonl87 01-29-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 966425)
I like Hydor Koralia or Knock offs Powerheads. You'll want a minimum of 200gph for a FOWLR, and it goes up from there.
$100 Skimmer would get you the very best for your size skimmer, and form my experience, that is the only thing on the tank you do not want to skimp on.
Nano Skimmer - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review
Also, some info for you on the DSB you plan on keeping. Nice choice, but be careful with it.
Ron Shimek's Website...Deep Sand Beds

ok cool ill deff go and get a decent skimmer then if thats the case. so a minimum of 200gph? so i could a little bigger and wouldnt cause and stress on the livestock right? thank you for the info on the DSB deff was a good read :-)

Reefing Madness 01-29-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonl87 (Post 966745)
ok cool ill deff go and get a decent skimmer then if thats the case. so a minimum of 200gph? so i could a little bigger and wouldnt cause and stress on the livestock right? thank you for the info on the DSB deff was a good read :-)

Yes, you can do much more on the gph on the poewrheads and not cause an issue, a Reef tank would require at least 20x you rwater volume.