Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   polishing filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/polishing-filter-91893/)

twocents 01-28-2012 07:09 PM

polishing filter

I just got finished scrubbing algae off aquarium walls and squeezing my foam filters out (elsewhere of course).
The water gets cloudy from all the free floating algae. I really don't have the enegy left to do a water change and get rid of some of the floaters. Are there filters out there that I could use temporarily to polish the cloudy water?
Thanks.

Nubster 01-28-2012 07:43 PM

Add filter floss to your current filter. You are talking about just the algae floating after scraping it or do you have a problem with algae in the water column?

twocents 01-29-2012 12:39 PM

I only have box foam filters. I guess I have found some of the limitations of them.
I witnessed some years ago a professioanal aquarium cleaning outfit and they had a 'hang on tank/ filter that did a final filtering of the water while they cleaned.

I think what the fix for me will ultimately be is that ye ancient mariner gravel vacuum cleaner.
Thanks anyway.

AbbeysDad 01-30-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocents (Post 966862)
I only have box foam filters. I guess I have found some of the limitations of them.
I witnessed some years ago a professioanal aquarium cleaning outfit and they had a 'hang on tank/ filter that did a final filtering of the water while they cleaned.

I think what the fix for me will ultimately be is that ye ancient mariner gravel vacuum cleaner.
Thanks anyway.

What you have described is most likely a [Vortex] diatom filter that uses diatomaceous earth to filter micron particles from the water resulting in extremely crystal clear water. They are great, but the water flow is very fast so it is best suited for periodic use to polish the water.
I have found similar water clarity results (as mentioned in this thread) using [spun polyester] filter wool in the last stage of my filter along with Seachem Purigen which is a synthetic adsorbant that attracts dissolved organic compounds.

twocents 01-30-2012 12:19 PM

Thanks. I am not running my canister filtes anymore. I had to cut down on the electrical plug ins..
It would only be used on occasion. I will have to check it out.

AbbeysDad 01-30-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocents (Post 967474)
Thanks. I am not running my canister filtes anymore. I had to cut down on the electrical plug ins..
It would only be used on occasion. I will have to check it out.

Perhaps you could run it periodically...maybe even on a timer?

twocents 01-31-2012 02:08 PM

I am getting a vortex diatom filter. Going to use that to polish out the algae and anything else.
Thanks.

beetlebz 02-02-2012 06:53 AM

if you didnt interfere, how long before the cloudiness settles?

twocents 02-02-2012 11:06 AM

cloudiness settles in a couple of hours, I think. I've never really timed it.

beetlebz 02-02-2012 12:00 PM

I would think its more gunk (detritus) than algae, but ive been wrong before. almost all of my tanks are like that. I just let them settle