Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Help my betta! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-my-betta-91868/)

lamberb2 01-28-2012 04:05 PM

Help my betta!

I recently added a betta to my 5 gallon tank, he is the only one in it, and he dosn't like the filter, he goes near it and it sucks him up. The water coming into the top also makes to strong of a current and he wont swim through it. My real problem is the ammonia level, its at a 3, i did a 25% water change today, when should i do another one to continue lowering it for him!!! Please help i dont want him to die!!!!

naich 01-28-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamberb2 (Post 966011)
I recently added a betta to my 5 gallon tank, he is the only one in it, and he dosn't like the filter, he goes near it and it sucks him up. The water coming into the top also makes to strong of a current and he wont swim through it. My real problem is the ammonia level, its at a 3, i did a 25% water change today, when should i do another one to continue lowering it for him!!! Please help i dont want him to die!!!!

the tank is not cycled thats very high ammonia levels sounds like you right in the middle of the cycle. water changes will help, but won't solve the problem. you need to finish the tanks cycle and build up ammonia eating bacteria. also betas don't like fast moving water as they are from the still poos of South east asia not rivers. and if the fish can't fight against the intake of a five gallon filter it is obviously ill or weakened.

bllauben 01-28-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamberb2 (Post 966011)

I used something by NutraFin called "Cycle." I used it according to the directions, poured it directly into the filter though. It's a bacteria starter.

Then I used something called "Prime." It temporarily "fixes" the water so that it is safe. I mean, a full dose only lasts 24-48 hours.

Is there a way to buffer the filter?

thekoimaiden 01-29-2012 04:40 PM

In order for that 5 gal to cycle you are going to need to have that filter in there. Step-By-Step Filter Baffle This is one type of filter baffle you can use (this site is also known as the betta forums here). Others have also had luck with putting a sponge over the water outflow.

A 5 gal is about the smallest tank you can cycle. It can be done, but as with all other cycling tanks keep your eye on the levels. I think the easiest thing to do would be seed your cycle with some gravel or filter media from another one of your tanks. You can also add fast growing live plants like anarcharis, hornwort, or duckweed to help decrease the ammonia.

lamberb2 01-30-2012 12:35 PM

I tested the wateragain last night and my ammonia level was down low, i added a new filter into the pump