Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Tetra ID assistance? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/tetra-id-assistance-91807/)

DKRST 01-27-2012 07:57 PM

Tetra ID assistance?
 
I need some help with a tetra ID. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture.

Description: Body shape similar to Neon tetra. Has a lateral line resembling the black tetras (bright blue/green) . Distinct red color on the entire dorsal, tail, and anal fins. Color on dorsal and tail very bright red, more faded on anal fin. Slight blue tinge on tips of tail and dorsal fin. Black spot at base of tail.

Any suggestions regarding the Genus, species, or common name are appreciated!

DKRST 01-27-2012 08:23 PM

Update: also has a black line just under the blue/green lateral line of color. Hint of blue iridescence on head over the eyes. These are young fish, only about 3-4 weeks old.

Byron 01-30-2012 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to narrow it down. Does it resemble any of these:
Hyphessobrycon anisitsi
Hemigrammus hyanuary.
Hyphessobrycon loretoensis

If it does (but is not one of those), it will hopefully point me to others not in the profiles. These two genera are catch-all for a couple hundred species, and many have been discovered only recently.

Going through my own photos, here's another that somewhat matches your description, Hyphessobrycon nigricintus that was described by Gery and Zarske in 2004 and apparently is being imported.

Byron.

DKRST 01-31-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 967680)
Trying to narrow it down. Does it resemble any of these:
Hyphessobrycon anisitsi
Hemigrammus hyanuary.
Hyphessobrycon loretoensis

If it does (but is not one of those), it will hopefully point me to others not in the profiles. These two genera are catch-all for a couple hundred species, and many have been discovered only recently.

Going through my own photos, here's another that somewhat matches your description, Hyphessobrycon nigricintus that was described by Gery and Zarske in 2004 and apparently is being imported.

Byron.

Thanks Byron, I'll keep trying to get a picture, but these guys move fast and my camera's not the best!

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi - the lateral line on mine is much brighter on mine, and the anal fin doesn't seem to extend into the tailfin, but the body shape is about right. Also the black lateral line under the "neon" line is very distinct on my fish, but not large, it's "vertically thin".
Hemigrammus hyanuary - could be, but the red fins are very distinctive on mine and the black tail spot is much smaller proportionally
Hyphessobrycon loretoensis - closer, but the black line is much smaller than the green "neon" lateral line on my fish.

After looking around some more, it very closely resembles a white cloud minnow in coloration, but is brighter than any I've ever seen locally! Black tailspot is exact, as is fin coloration, except mine have some faded red on the anal fins. Might just be some really nice white clouds?

Byron 01-31-2012 01:39 PM

There are two other species newly discovered in the genus Tanichthys, these are mentioned in the profile of Tanichthys albonubes. If you do a Google search you will find many photos, have a look.

You didn't mention an adipose fin, this would help narrow it down. An adipose fin would indicate a characin, probably (some do not posess one) but certainly not a cyprinid which is what the Tanichthys species are.

DKRST 02-01-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 968713)
You didn't mention an adipose fin, this would help narrow it down. An adipose fin would indicate a characin, probably (some do not posess one) but certainly not a cyprinid which is what the Tanichthys species are.

No adipose fin, just checked. I may be totally off on the possible ID as a Characin, I was assuming tetra since that's what the person I received the unexpected eggs from told me. Still can't get a picture that shows enough detail to help with an ID.

Byron 02-01-2012 11:29 AM

If there is no adipose, I would doubt it is a "tetra," as most (but certainly not all) have one. But there are other characins. Many pencilfish do not, and off the top of my head I can't think of a Nannostomus species that meets your description, but you might want to check those photos through a Google search as there are several species not in our profiles since they are very rare. Then there are the closely related pyrrhulina in the Copella, Copeina and Pyrrhulina genera. Many use the generic term "tetra" for all these.

I assume the other white cloud species were not close?

DKRST 02-01-2012 01:30 PM

Some of the white clouds were close. Never having had either tetras or white clouds before, plus the miss-direction initially, I wasn't certain. It does most closely resemble the White clouds. The tail spot matches exactly as does overall body conformation. Colors are a little off what I see on the white cloud pictures, but everything else matches. I'll try to borrow a better camera and get a picture posted.

Byron 02-01-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 969922)
Some of the white clouds were close. Never having had either tetras or white clouds before, plus the miss-direction initially, I wasn't certain. It does most closely resemble the White clouds. The tail spot matches exactly as does overall body conformation. Colors are a little off what I see on the white cloud pictures, but everything else matches. I'll try to borrow a better camera and get a picture posted.

We've probably found it then, but let's see a photo when you can. I have often seen the common white cloud labelled "tetra" in fish stores and online, and I believe they are relatively easy to spawn. If you got these from a hobbyist, it may be the rarer species.

DKRST 02-06-2012 04:28 PM

Pictures, finally
 
3 Attachment(s)
The sun finally came out and I got some marginally good shots finally!

Thoughts on ID now?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2