Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   I think im in trouble (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/i-think-im-trouble-9174/)

Dicklinky 11-04-2007 03:59 PM

I think im in trouble

My angelfish has a white fungus on its back/middle fin.

I notice its growing quite rapidly..
I went to some websites for advice and find that its fatal????
well needless to say im not satisfied with that answer!

Can Anyone please help or offer advise to rid this fungus?
can anyone tell me what caused it so i can avoid it later?

No stressors.
20 long tank
2 angels
plants to hid
76 degrees
flake food
lighting.....
Please help. i really dont want him to die.

Thanks.

Julie's Julies 11-04-2007 04:13 PM

Hi and welcome! This place is full of great people who can help with nearly any kind of malady.

First of all, they will need to know your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH), the length of time the tank has been running, and to see pictures if at all possible. Also, how much and how often do you perform water changes? If you know the age(s) of the angels, that might come into play, too.

There are many different things that may be able to help your angelfish, but I will let one of the more renowned fish keepers explain and suggest those to you.

Hang in there; you've come to the right place to seek help.

joeshmoe 11-04-2007 04:21 PM

if you can get the tank stats that would be great. you can try a salt bath/dip.

willow 11-04-2007 04:31 PM

hi
i too will say that there are more people on here that
would probably be able to help more than me,
i wonder if using "Inter pet #8" would help. ?

Dicklinky 11-04-2007 07:28 PM

What is a salt dip?
What is inner ph#8?

Im not sure of these things, there are so many things to learn as well. so please be patiant with my unknowingness. I appreciate the help, but in all seriousness, plan english would be in my favor?

I bought the fish 2 days ago, and it did not have this growth on its fin.

the ph is around 7.5
nitrate should be good
and the tank has been set up about 6 months
with frequent water changes.

thanks for any and all help, remember that im a regular store biught kind of fish keeper.. i dont know much of the fancy stuff. so please keep the comments (if any) small worded. not saying im opposed to learning.

thanks.

JouteiMike 11-04-2007 08:17 PM

Describe the appearance of it a little more... is it cottony looking? Raised? A picture would surely help.

Water parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)

Fungus usually follows a previous health problem...like a bacterial infection from injury, or a parasitic attack that was left untreated. There must have been something physically wrong with the fish prior to this white fungus growing on its body. You don't recall anything wrong?

Anti-fungus medication will need to be administered promptly. Commercial fungicides such as Maroxy or Primafix could work, which you can find in your local fish store. Do you have a hospital tank? A methylene blue bath is a more aggressive approach for treatment, if you have a hospital tank.

joeshmoe 11-04-2007 08:20 PM

sorry for no explaining it :oops: .) take some water from the aquarium put it in a bucket, put about 1 1/2 teaspoons of table salt and mabe a pinch of epsom salts :) . dip is u dont leave him in there longbut ,but what i do is bath witch (i think more effective )and i leave them in there for about 30 40 mins.

Dicklinky 11-04-2007 10:25 PM

thank you for explaining, I am the one feeling foolish for not knowing these terms?

I will try the dip?
also i have binox. which i know has worked in the past with normal fish AKA gold fish, danios,ECT. im just hearing all this stuff about "delicate' when it comes to angels....

thankyou who have replied

any thoughts..i dont have many parameters yet. i will be making some puchases in the morning.

Dicklinky 11-04-2007 10:29 PM

oh yeah, sorry....

Yes very cotton looking. and it looks to be speading to the body. should i remove the plants before binox?

or will the plants need to be in the tank with the medicine?

joeshmoe 11-04-2007 10:30 PM

its ok ,but when you do the dip and leave him in for about ten mins see how he does and if he not stressed you can leave him in longer