Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   10 gallon planted tank plans (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/10-gallon-planted-tank-plans-91733/)

small fry 01-27-2012 12:21 AM

10 gallon planted tank plans

Hey guys! Some of you may remember me? It has been awhile since I have been on the forum. Reason being, I haven't had anything to talk about, and frankly I've been sad about, well...

Recently I've moved. I used to have a beautiful 55 gallon Amazonian Bio-type that was low-tech and nicely planted. Unfortunately with the move, I couldn't keep up with the tank. There wasn't any room for the tank at the new house. Didn't lose many fish at all, but I lost all the plants, etc. It was a work in progress, not a complete low-tech setup.

Anyways, after the move, I have had to downsize my hobby to 2 small tanks. 123 gallons of water in my golden days, and now I am down to just 13 (a 10 and a 3). I have been really upset about this for a long time. I left a lot of my plants at the other house just to die I guess.

Tonight I decided that I was going to start a low-tech setup for my 10 gallon tank! I don't know why I didn't think about it before! I went to my old house and salvaged all the old plants I could (large java fern+small, aponogeton bulbs that still looked alive, some anacharis, and maybe some baby Amazon Sword, couldn't tell). I also grabbed the 18w 6,500k flouresent. I brought it home and stuck it all in a tank. Added a little bit too much Flourish, and turned on the lights. Text cannot describe how excited I am! :-D

I want to make this an Asian Biotype. I know most of the plants I have in there aren't Asian. I eventually want to add a Gold Gourami after I stabilize the tank.

I just had a few questions.

It has been so long since my "golden days" of fishkeeping. I have completely forgotten my knowledge of plants. I was wondering what some pretty popular/hardy Asian plants were. I was wondering if someone could give just a few examples.

Also, I know Dwarf-hairgrass is mainly considered to be native to North America. I have always heard that you need CO2 if you are going to keep it. Is there any way to keep hairgrass in a small low-tech setup without CO2?

Lastly, I really want to add a bunch of plants in the tank. I have never ordered plants online, but I really would like to. I am wondering if anyone knows any good sites that are reputable, have a decent amount of stock, and won't charge an arm and a leg for shipping? I'd rather not pay for Next Day Air if I can help it. I've heard of other people shipping other people plants for under $10.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! I would really like to get back into the hobby, and this would be a really neat way to do it!

Thanks! :-D

small fry,

MinaMinaMina 01-27-2012 12:48 AM

I'm excited for you! What fun!

I keep dwarf hairgrass without CO2 injection. I have 2 6500K T8 bulbs over it in a 21" deep tank. Its at pH 7.2, moderately hard, and 80 degrees. I wouldn't say that its growing like a weed, per se, but its doing okay. Its green and healthy and has sent out some runners. Its just slow.

As far as Asian plants, my book lists...
Asia- crypts, java fern, java moss, aponogeton, water wisteria, water star, ambulia, giant indian water star
Worldwide- bacopa, hornwort, hairgrass, hydrilla verticillata, duckweed, cabomba, water lettuce, sagittaria, vallisneria
Now, I don't know which are native and which are introduced/spread.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

MinaMinaMina 01-27-2012 12:51 AM

Wait, doesn't a Blue Gourami get, like, five inches?

Boredomb 01-27-2012 02:14 AM

I don't really have anything to add to what Mina has already said other then the Golden Gouramis can get up to 6" though more commonly around 4-5" in the aquarium trade. Still not a good idea for a 10 gallon.

Also nice to see you back Small Fry! Its been a while and glad to know you are getting back into this great hobby.

small fry 01-27-2012 07:32 AM

Yeah, I was thinking a gourami might be a little bit of a stretch. I actually had a friend who had one in a 1 gallon tank for a year (I told him that was a horrible idea, but he wouldn't listen). I might go with a Dwarf, but I won't make up my mind just yet. I've always heard that with blue gouramis, the reason they need a 15g tank is because of water quality, not space; but I'm not sure if I agree with that. Maybe not. :|

Anyways, yay! I'm so excited! Thanks for that list, MinaMinaMina! I will certainly further research the plants on it. I really appreciate it! :D

Hi boredomb. It's been awhile lol. Glad to see some familiar faces! :)

small fry 01-27-2012 07:47 AM

Ok guys. Don't know what I was thinking with the Gold Gourami. Forgot they got so huge. I've never seen one over 2 1/2", I can't imagine how large a 6" would be. Just heads up, I dropped that idea lol.

MinaMinaMina 01-27-2012 08:41 AM

Oops! Scratch Cabomba, I didn't mean that. I meant Water Milfoil! Sorry about that!

beetlebz 01-27-2012 04:48 PM

LOL i live on a lake in connecticut. i can go outside into the sand (they drain the lake for the winter) and dig up some frozen stiff brown milfoil, put it in a bag, and it will be bursting the bag when it gets there! The stuff is prolific to say the least. Its so funny to think of a plant that is invasive all over the world.

I think a single dwarf gourami or sparking gourami, some pygmy cories perhaps... it all depends on what your water looks like for ph and hardness :)

MinaMinaMina 01-27-2012 11:28 PM

Also, it might be worth looking into Echinodorus v. 'Oriental (Oriental Sword). I don't know much about their origin (maybe a hybrid?), but I know they get a reasonable size for a 10 gallon but need moderate to high light.

Also water sprite! And dwarf lily!

And when are those pix coming?! :-D

small fry 01-28-2012 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm probably going to try to order the plants and get them Tuesday. I found out that Live Aquaria will ship plants for $14 next day air.

I am wondering how this list will work. I don't mind pruning down larger plants every once and awhile. I am not sure if this would be too many plants (or if there is any such thing as too many plants). Anyways, here is the list.
Attachment 47108

What do you guys think? I am using Flourish Comprehensive as a fertilizer. I want to purchase some Flourite later this month, also. I am kind of short on funds, so no guarantee.