Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
- - floating plants and HOB filters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/floating-plants-hob-filters-91715/)
floating plants and HOB filters
I just recently added floating plants (in the form of water sprite) to my 20 long.. but Id like to put them in also my 55g and my 110g, both of which have some pretty serious surface agitation via 2 HOB filters in each. Has anyone cracked open their canoodle and figured out a simple solution to keep the HOB current from terrorizing the floating plants? I aim to use all canisters someday, but thats just not in the budget right now.
every diffuser ive seen or read about was to limit the currents force, which would still suck floating plants under, I would think. OTOH im not very imaginative :-)
I'm not sure how much it would help, but in my own tank I have the water level higher than the bottom of the output ramp (whatever it is called) and there is very little surface agitation. I rely on the plants to provide the oxygen for the fish (seems to be working, none show respiratory distress). There is still obviously water movement though, just more across the surface, then down.
If you don't mind, why do you have 2 HOB filters in a planted tank? Up to a 55g you could get away with only a sponge filter depending on your plant quanity. I'd drop at least one of them. I just came from that dark side. During my transition to planted I started with 2 HOB filters on a 29g (I was obsessed with filtration lol) Now I'm done to an air driven sponge and plants/fish/water quality is doing great. I was completely nervous about removing my filters but Byron talked me into it ;) and I will never turn back now.
If you still plan on keeping those filters there are a couple threads on here about homemade baffels for HOB filters to dispurse the flow better. A trick I did before removing them to at least hold the Anacharis near the surface was those heater suction rings.
they are two small filters, a penguin 200 and a tetra... uhhh... old hob lol I had a sponge filter and it wasnt appropriate at the time, but now might be a different story. The only reason I havnt gone back yet is (besides my hydrosponge IV being on loan atm) im planning on a massive substrate swap. once thats all done ill go back to the hydro-sponge I think. I need to change from hoods to glass covers first, though. The plastic lenses foul WAY too fast with the air bubbles lol
I will get some glass tops, add the sponge, and remove the smaller HOB, then later the second. Its just not in the cards at the moment :)
Oh I almost forgot. I stopped fertilizing some time ago like a moron, then did a really good gravel vac. Plants need to rebound a little bit I think before I try to go back to a sponge!
Well in that case the baffle might help. I was not able to keep plants at the surface with my Biowheel though, regardless of the baffle, the suction cups were the only thing that kept them from getting blown down and around.
I might be able to help. I have water sprite in my 29 gal with a penguin biowheel. I tried using the plastic bottle baffle but that just sucked the plants under. Let me see if I can try to explain this properly. I had some sponge left over from where I cut a Rena Foam Pad to replace the carbon cartridge in the biowheel. It about about an inch wide. I stuffed this strangle little piece of sponge in between the outflow and the hood of the tank. My floating plants are now having no problems what so ever. There is still some flow but it isn't strong enough to bother the plants. It also helps that I have the water level high enough so that the lip of the outflow touches the water. I can get a picture of this tomorrow in the daylight if that would help you visualize it.
I have this problem too in my 5.5 gallon. Tonight I did a partial and opened up the filter, pulled out the sponge and a crop of duckweed was under it. I was wondering where it all went, lol. I put a sponge piece in the intake tube, its working for now. But I would like something better. All I can think of is tying a sponge around the outside of the intake vent with fishing line. That way it would be easy to rinse, and my duckweed wouldn't get sucked up in it.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.